Xenia temperamental??

Got some Xenia from a fellow reefer hoping these things would thrive so I can give back. I had them separated in a cup in my tank and some of them died. I managed to save 2 stalks. Used some super glue to stick them on a frag disc and kept them separated in the cup. They looked like they were doing good. So I decided to move them out of the cup and put one on a rock and one on the sandbed. The one on the sandbed looks like it died. Now the one on the rock doesn't look so good either. I've read to leave them and they come back but I didn't want chance it and leave the one on the sand bed, I was afraid it would mess up my water quality. Anybody have same experience with moving xenias and things turning for the worst?

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-around 20ppm

Attachments

woolleson

I had them and thrived, they do like slightly dirty water. It maybe lack of light mine did well near the top of the tank. They even climbed up the glass to get more. They grow like weeds, only seem to suffer in clean tanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
There kinda funny. In some tanks they grow like weeds and in others they slowly die off. I have one rock of them and they grow OK. I also have some in my fuge that's growing out

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

your water column is too clean... xenia won't thrive in SPS style tanks because of this... they need less water changes and over stocked aquariums...

that's why people use them as scrubbers... xenia is a good coral for refugiums...

your water column is too clean... xenia won't thrive in SPS style tanks because of this... they need less water changes and over stocked aquariums...

that's why people use them as scrubbers... xenia is a good coral for refugiums...

Probably. So being a good and responsible reefer and keeping up with water changes is not good enough for them!

Probably. So being a good and responsible reefer and keeping up with water changes is not good enough for them!