MHLLE in new fish i adopted

i inhereted 2 fish. sailfin and a blue tang. original owner lost interest in hobby after his job changed and time was limited. i purchased his tank and fish. originally i thought the fish were scarred because of lack of space in tank. even though it is a 220 gallon tank, previous owner had about 200 lbs of rock but very few large spaces for this fish to hide. after doing some research i think MHLLE is what they sufer from. ive spend most of the day today learning about it and what can cause it and although vague, i think the lack of attention is what hurt these guys. he rarely turned the lights on for them, no diverse diet, seldom water changes, skimmer was on but not producint skimmate.

my question after the long rant, has aanyone here had success in reversing some of the damages?
i plan on keeping these 2 with and a yellow in a 60 gallon tank with nothing but some hiding rocks. nice lighting, nice flow, good skimmer.
they dont look sick or show signs of ich. should i still medicate?

and finally and most important question, is this contagious?

thanks for any advise or comments. im going to do my best to bring these guys back to health.. they are survivors.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
i inhereted 2 fish. sailfin and a blue tang. original owner lost interest in hobby after his job changed and time was limited. i purchased his tank and fish. originally i thought the fish were scarred because of lack of space in tank. even though it is a 220 gallon tank, previous owner had about 200 lbs of rock but very few large spaces for this fish to hide. after doing some research i think MHLLE is what they sufer from. ive spend most of the day today learning about it and what can cause it and although vague, i think the lack of attention is what hurt these guys. he rarely turned the lights on for them, no diverse diet, seldom water changes, skimmer was on but not producint skimmate.

my question after the long rant, has aanyone here had success in reversing some of the damages?
i plan on keeping these 2 with and a yellow in a 60 gallon tank with nothing but some hiding rocks. nice lighting, nice flow, good skimmer.
they dont look sick or show signs of ich. should i still medicate?

and finally and most important question, is this contagious?

thanks for any advise or comments. im going to do my best to bring these guys back to health.. they are survivors.
Welcome to the site! To start off, those two tangs are way too big for your 60. Wont be able to keep them long term. If anything you might be able to keep a yellow that size. Those two get very territorial. Regarding MHLLE I think it has to do with water quality and diet. I've had so many tangs in the past 4 years I been in the hobby and never had one get it. Some say carbon can cause it but it never happened in my experience. Good luck hope you can find them bigger homes ones they get better. (It takes time to get them healthy again and some don't completely heal)

thanks, to clarify, the 60 is just temporary tank i set up to try to heal them. i would hate to wake up the tang police. lol my display is a 180 but im afraid to put them in there as they are. i wanted to treat them, feed them good, maybe see some improvements and then move them to my 180.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
thanks, to clarify, the 60 is just temporary tank i set up to try to heal them. i would hate to wake up the tang police. lol my display is a 180 but im afraid to put them in there as they are. i wanted to treat them, feed them good, maybe see some improvements and then move them to my 180.
lol I love fish and I do my best to keep them well fed and happy. They eat better than me lol But yeah keep an eye on them. You got pics?