DIY Stand Help

Dipan00

187g Peninsula Mixed Reef
Supporter
My Tank Build
So im building this stand for my 100g tank. The tank on the bottom is a 40 gallon breeder. I will be putting 1/2 inch thick plywood over the top and also where the 40 gallon breeder is sitting. My question is do I need a center brace if I am putting a 1/2 think piece of plywood over the top? If I do need a brace can I offset it so I can still get my 40 gallon breeder out if i ever needed to?

Attachments

So im building this stand for my 100g tank. The tank on the bottom is a 40 gallon breeder. I will be putting 1/2 inch thick plywood over the top and also where the 40 gallon breeder is sitting. My question is do I need a center brace if I am putting a 1/2 think piece of plywood over the top? If I do need a brace can I offset it so I can still get my 40 gallon breeder out if i ever needed to?
I'd change the top to 2x6's. If you do, you can do without the center brace.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
What are the dims of the tank? Stand looks pretty long. Is it 60"? That would matter more if it's sufficient or not. Easiest way I can see to reinforce the stand without adding height or width is to use good 2x4s and make a perimeter around the front and rear openings. Like a rectangle picture frame

Last edited:
from my understanding, 4' and under doesnt require a centre brace. the tank isnt long enough to "dip" in the middle. providing you have you stand and floor in which it sits, level. i used 0.5" plywood for the top and bottom too so i personally think thats fine. i would however use 0.75" plywood for the wrap. the wrap will add stability to your stand

going what the "the king of diy" on youtube "a 2x4 will hold around 800lbs of weight" so technically your stand will support the weight without any problems.
you can also add some foam padding or use styrofoam under your tank to adjust any slight imperfections on level, marine depot sells the "proper" aquarium foams, but its your call.

honestly, your stand looks pretty hardcore. if you're worried but dont want to the centre leg then you can add two legs closer to the inside. on a 4' tank id say 20" on each side. gives you a 28" opening in the middle. not the biggest, but should be enough. this will shorten your length of the tank that could dip. if you can sleep tonight without worrying about it, then i would leave it lol

good luck

Latest posts