Taking the plunge...

Hey everyone,

I've had freshwater fish tanks around the house forever, but wasn't keeping anything more than a betta or two for a long time now. I recently got back into the freshwater hobby and achieved one of my childhood goals: keeping discus. I've had my 55 gallon planted discus tank running for a few months now and have been getting jittery for a new project already....

I've decided to fulfill my second childhood fish keeping goal of setting up a saltwater tank. I'll be doing a 20 gallon nano reef and already have some dry rock curing and have just started to slowly begin buying things.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Welcome!

FW planted discus tank was my last system before my first reef tank. WARNING: once your eyes adjust to that blue pop that 6500k just looks so **** yellow! :)

I bet! Looking at pictures of reefs online has me thinking "Jesus, it's so.... blue." It's gonna be weird to start thinking the opposite.

Also, this 20 gallon project just turned into a 40 gallon one. Sold the 20 gallon tank that was supposed to be the initial setup earlier today. :D
Considering doing a build thread because I've never done one before and it seems like fun.

Wow, my tank looks a lot worse through iphone pictures. Granted, the glass could use a little cleaning. Also, there are a pair of yellow Marlboros (I think they're called) hiding behind the Amazon swords.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Attachments

nice tank... i have a planted nano... it's very over grown right now... i need to trim the bottom carpet and water wysteria...

At RAP NY, Dustin's Fish Tanks did a freshwater planted tank aquascaping contest. I must say I'm definitely considering a freshwater tank after seeing that!

Here were some of the entries

At RAP NY, Dustin's Fish Tanks did a freshwater planted tank aquascaping contest. I must say I'm definitely considering a freshwater tank after seeing that!
I saw one or two of those on Dustin's instagram... totally amazing 'scapes.
I wholeheartedly encourage it. The challenges of a nano reef are something I've yet to encounter, but learning more about the fw side of the hobby by taking on planted tanks has been pretty rewarding. I know my tank isn't much compared to lots of the jaw dropping tanks out there, but it's nice to get a positive reaction from everyone that sees it... justifies all the work!

i have a build thread on this forum for it... lol... it's in the nano section...
Thanks gumbii, I'll be sure to check it out.