Mh bulb question

So I know the general rule is you change your bulbs every 6 months. I'm running 250w radiums @ 3.5 hours a day. Should I still replace them or since they are on so little can I get 8-12 months?

I'm sure you could get away with squeezing a little more time. Just like an air conditioning filter. If you don't use the air why change every 3mos. Or a fridge water filter? What are you supplementing the MH with?

MH lamps takes about 100hrs for the lamps to burn in. Also depending on what type of ballast you are using makes a big difference. Radium lamps a very particular and require it to be overdriven to get that "radium 20k" look. But overdriven lamps will decrease its life, so would underdriving would also decrease its life, not to mention you would not get the Blue color.
6 month is on the low end. 8-10 month is the norm with these lamps, even while overdriving them.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
MH lamps takes about 100hrs for the lamps to burn in. Also depending on what type of ballast you are using makes a big difference. Radium lamps a very particular and require it to be overdriven to get that "radium 20k" look. But overdriven lamps will decrease its life, so would underdriving would also decrease its life, not to mention you would not get the Blue color.
6 month is on the low end. 8-10 month is the norm with these lamps, even while overdriving them.
How do you overdrive them?

A PAR meter would be judge, jury and executioner on this one, to my recollection radium's par is super steady ,then from one day to another drops off the map .. The human eye sucks at distinguishing lights brightness.

What are you supplementing the MH with?

Just led actinics. They are run with coral vue electronic ballasts. I've done a fair bit or reading and at 6 hrs a day, guys are replacing them at 10-12 months. I'm going to bump up to 5hrs and change them out at 10 months. No par meter and I didn't take any readings when I first turned them on.

Hamilton Technology

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Open to the Public - 14900 S. Figueora Street, Gar
So I know the general rule is you change your bulbs every 6 months. I'm running 250w radiums @ 3.5 hours a day. Should I still replace them or since they are on so little can I get 8-12 months?
6 months is too early and would be a waste of money especially if you are running them at 3.5 hours per day.

At that rate, you should get 16 months out of them prior to a spectrum shift.

One local stores we serve uses this lamp and changes them every 2 years. That's longer then the norm and not recommended but he says its no problem.