Sps diagnosis?

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Been having a bit of trouble recently with some of my sps. While takin. Down my 150 and transferring everything to my drag tank, I noticed this. People with experience...what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like slow tissue necrosis (STN) dip & check for parasites . STN/RTN is sps can be tough to diag without tank parameters /lighting/history (Alk swing/overdose/etc)

All the pieces in the tank like this also or just the ones that don't get enough light at the bases? Just curious. Doesn't look like pests that would cause this to me, at least that's my take on it.

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Only a couple of pieces are like this. I've removed all coral from my 150, dipped them, and placed everything in the frag tank, until I get the new 60 cube up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Most of us have seen something like that at one time or another. It's just that most don't share pictures of issues or problems so it's hard to get knowledgable about problem solving. I think it would be great to have a dedicated section with problems and solutions assuming anyone could accurately identify a problem with its solution. If we could though, it would be a big improvement in reef keeping

My first thoughts are usually shading. The only real reason I say that is then you don't have to take responsibility.

I dont know anything about rust causing specific stn but I'm interested. Certainly a review of the tank's parameters makes sense, don't know how consistent you maybe with testing or not. And as has been said by many others, your parameters are pivotal to success. As a side note, actually everything I say is a side note, it's interesting to see and perhaps discuss the changing thoughts on parameters from high alk a handful of years ago 10-12 dKh to current thinking of 7-8. It's even fascinating (to me at least), the change in nutrient issues, from too much nutrients just a handful of years ago to the too little nutrients of many reefers--what changed, and I'm not referring to carbon dosing whatsoever.

Flow is an issue as well. It's kind of like shading in that as the tank matures with coral growth even with power heads, flow can get diminished and inadequate flow doesn't allow cellular exchange to take place and the coral will have problems.

I don't think it's pests either because when it comes to pests I think of aefw and there are no bite marks here

Sorry. I don't think I added much by my rambling. But I'm glad you presented your issue with pictures. It is a subject worthy of much discussion

organism

2020 POTM
Rust can cause issues because it's not just ferric oxide like phosban, it's a mix of different heavy metals especially rusting magnets. Are there any magnetic frag racks or pumps in the tank that you haven't closely inspected?

organism

2020 POTM
fwiw I had a similar issue with a couple of new colonies a while ago and Revive fixed it, what are you using to dip?

organism

2020 POTM
Why do think revive was able to stop the stn?
I think sometimes the cause is bacterial or some kind of infection, Revive was the only thing that helped and it's my go-to now with any coral issues. Doesn't always work but helps me figure out if it's a pathogen or some kind of other issue.

Latest posts