How far above the tank for ati sunppwer?

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Got an 8bulb 24" ati dimmable going over a 60 gallon cube...24" high, I believe (haven't got the tank yet). Sps dominant tank. How high should I hang the fixture above the water level? Want to do things right, as opposed to hoping things work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 inches from the surface...? 8 bulb...??? have fun watching your fancy mushrooms melt, and acans bleach... LOL....

if you go to growers, wholesale and some LFS, they have their ati lights way up on their tanks... 3 feet above their water level... went to the fragBQ yesterday, and liz/jorge have their T5 way up in the air... growing corals like crazy.. same goes for two guys corals... and amazing aquariums and reefs...

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I had mine about 7" and it was too intense. Just finished re-hanging my light so I can move it up to 10-12"

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry gumbii; I thought you were clowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I need to join a club that has a par meter. I noticed that at TGC but thought it was due to the shallow frag tank. They had insane surface tension though so it probably equals out.

I need to join a club that has a par meter. I noticed that at TGC but thought it was due to the shallow frag tank. They had insane surface tension though so it probably equals out.
lars has a par meter...

but... measuring par on a T5 setup is different than LED... since led are concentrated light beams and t5 are tubes of light...

Just give yourself enough space to work inside the tank and make sure you're not blinded by the glare of the lights if you're sitting down around a desk or couch lower than the light. An eight bulb should be more than enough PAR.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I grew up with more is better (of course just because one presumes a fact does not mean it is correct) but intriguing that three feet works so well compared to 12 inches of distance. So what distance would optimize growth / color. Do we really know. I assumed that the three foot distance was for both ease of viewing and room to work in.

Latest posts