any insight or experiences on these 2 stores?

limal17

does anybody have insight or any good/bad experiences on Daryl's petshop in Redlands or Jan's petshop in Montclair? Are their fishes in great shape and do they have a great selection on fishes. I went one day to Daryl's shop but it was closed and would like to buy fishes from new stores. Thank you for all the help in advance.

does anybody have insight or any good/bad experiences on Daryl's petshop in Redlands or Jan's petshop in Montclair? Are their fishes in great shape and do they have a great selection on fishes. I went one day to Daryl's shop but it was closed and would like to buy fishes from new stores. Thank you for all the help in advance.
Jan's dry goods are overpriced, but she carries a lot. So in case of emergencies, I always go there. She is stocked on medications and different types of food. As far as the livestock, it varies. I would proceed with caution and carefully inspect anything you buy there. It's hit or miss.

limal17

Thank you for you help and I saw that they have a lot of saltwater livestock I just didn't know if it is safe to buy from there.

I still quarantine from Jan's, but they do run some copper which is better than nothing. I wouldn't buy a fish that just came in and always ask to see if it eats.

My Tank Build
Last time I was in Daryl's there wasn't any salt water. Idk if they got some back. But still it's not worth the time to even try. They never had any type of selection and the corals they would have (like yellow polyps and drown polys) were way over priced.

Jan's is great for emergency supplies for sure. You'd be reckless to ever buy a fish from anyone including an LFS without proper QT. if it eats then you have a shot. I bought a pair of Bangaii cardinals from her a month ago. She fed the tank and I bought the two that ate the best and they're doing great. She'll also test her water for you if that's a concern but it's not below 10ppm because apparently that's not really feasible in any lfs, According to her but she's very knowledgable and overall a very nice lady. Prices are decent.

limal17

Thanks for the insight someone told me about Daryl's so i followed them on instagram and they are bringing saltwater back and I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank is that enough for a quarantine tank? how many small fishes can fit in it at a time?

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I like going to Jans for frozen foods and they get new livestock every Weds. They have quite a few different clowns fish all the time. Coral frag selection is minimal.

Thanks for the insight someone told me about Daryl's so i followed them on instagram and they are bringing saltwater back and I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank is that enough for a quarantine tank? how many small fishes can fit in it at a time?
You need to make sure it's a proper cycled qt just like your tank or you'll be doing water changes everyday to try and stay ahead of the ammonia buildup. Unless you have a big canister filter attached. Don't trust those little crappy HOB filters.