Cycling dryrock in brute trash can?

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
For the new 60 cube, I'm starting everything new...this includes cycling my dry rock. The problem...we're having new flooring installed so the tank can't be setup until this gets finished. I do t want to wait to get the cycle going...so can I put my dryrock in a brute trash can and begin the process just as if I were starting a new tank? Anything I need to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Is it as simple as putting dryrock in saltwater or do I need to add something? I should know this, but I've never cycled rock before.

My Tank Build
I through the rock in, filled with salt water. Added a pump and a heater. Then took one small piece of live rock from an established tank tossed it in the barrel and trough in a dead fish to get the ammonia spike. Then waited 3 months for cycle to complete. It was most likely done in a month or so. But I was in no rush so I let it marinate

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
It's been two weeks...here are the params as of today. Is this as expected?

nwayne567

It's going to take a while if you don't have any live rock from a previous tank that's already established.. If your going brand new salt water and dry rock then you need to throw in a frozen shrimp from the market or throw in some already established dry rock.. To get everything to kick start faster. I honestly don't think you even need a heater or lights to cycle a tank but you might need a circulation pump if I'm not mistaken.. Can someone chime in and make sure that's correct about the heater and lights and pump

nwayne567

But from your test readings to me it looks like your ammonia is already cycled and now the nitrite and nitrate is doing its think so to me from the picks it looks like it's progressing well. So now if I were you I would just keep waiting cause you need the nitrite down to 0 and the nitrate should be lower then 30ppm

Dgelz

Premium Member
Supporter
Current setup. It's in the garage in corona. Hot as hell. No light, just a circulation pump. Add water when I do water changes on the frag tank. Other than that...Its basically abandoned. I'm in no rush whatsoever. We're getting new floors out in next week, so the tank can't be put up until then. I'll measure things again in a week or so.

Latest posts