Triton test came in with a few high levels

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Was super happy to see my triton test did get mailed out right. Just took a while!

A few levels are high but specifically Li. I'm not sure what causes Lithium to get high. It's maxed out on the red chart @ 2194.00. Any idea what could cause this?

Its good to know I need to cut out my iodine dosing. That's high at 690

It looks like my GHA is soaking up all the P and Po4. Both were zeroed out.

Triton states Li levels can be contamination or over dosing trace elements. I run a calcium reactor and was told that takes care of trace elements. I have been dosing Pohll's coral vitalizer and amino acids. My reactor media is a mix of TLF rebourne and Zeomag.

Last edited:
Hi there
A calcium reactor does not replace the trace elements accept for a couple of major ones Kh, magnesium, calcium, The rest of your elements come from your water challenge or a concentrated form.
Also be very careful with iodine you really do need to test for this regular if you're dosing this one as it can wipe out all your fish the moment it reaches a certain level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there
A calcium reactor does not replace the trace elements accept for a couple of major ones Kh, magnesium, calcium, The rest of your elements come from your water challenge or a concentrated form.
Also be very careful with iodine you really do need to test for this regular if you're dosing this one as it can wipe out all your fish the moment it reaches a certain level.

Interesting, I would assume it would replace all kinds of elements. What is happening to the other elements that are melted within the media?

Was super happy to see my triton test did get mailed out right. Just took a while!

A few levels are high but specifically Li. I'm not sure what causes Lithium to get high. It's maxed out on the red chart @ 2194.00. Any idea what could cause this?

Its good to know I need to cut out my iodine dosing. That's high at 690

It looks like my GHA is soaking up all the P and Po4. Both were zeroed out.

Triton states Li levels can be contamination or over dosing trace elements. I run a calcium reactor and was told that takes care of trace elements. I have been dosing Pohll's coral vitalizer and amino acids. My reactor media is a mix of TLF rebourne and Zeomag.
I am curious to know how much Iodine you are dosing to get your levels that high. Also, how often do you do a water change and what salt. Thanks

Interesting, I would assume it would replace all kinds of elements. What is happening to the other elements that are melted within the media?
It was based on what I've read and the way I understood it and As I've already said does not replace all trace elements , as there are meant to be somewhere between 70 and 80 of them.
Based on this article you can see it says major three elements Plus several more minor so no where near all.
http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/calcium-reactors/

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I am curious to know how much Iodine you are dosing to get your levels that high. Also, how often do you do a water change and what salt. Thanks
2 drops of lugols a day on a 100g system. I'm on my second bucket of red Sea regular. 15-20% water changes every 7-14 days. I'm pretty sure my Kent Tech M dosing was the cause of the very high Lithium level. I found several threads of high triton results and Kent tech m online.

My corals seem to be on the mend and getting more colors. I plan to send off another triton test after a few more water changes to see if the level has dropped

2 drops of lugols a day on a 100g system. I'm on my second bucket of red Sea regular. 15-20% water changes every 7-14 days. I'm pretty sure my Kent Tech M dosing was the cause of the very high Lithium level. I found several threads of high triton results and Kent tech m online.

My corals seem to be on the mend and getting more colors. I plan to send off another triton test after a few more water changes to see if the level has dropped
That's why I don't like water changes. Always throwing my parameters off. Also why I use regular instant ocean. It's a base mix not meant to make up for lost elements. Keeps my chemistry stable. I always thought a high iodine level was super dangerous. I guess you have proved otherwise lol.

It was based on what I've read and the way I understood it and As I've already said does not replace all trace elements , as there are meant to be somewhere between 70 and 80 of them.
Based on this article you can see it says major three elements Plus several more minor so no where near all.

I see where you are combing from but to state that the calcium reactor does not replenish minor trace elements is inaccurate In my opinion. Anyone who puts a calcium reactor online will see a huge difference in sps right off the bat. I personally dose trace elements because my tank is sps dominant. A calcium reactor cannot keep up with my kh to calcium ratio so I dose calcium and trace elements to keep my chemistry where I want it to be

BeanMachine

Supporter

I also had really high lithium... but I rarely dose Mag. I attributed it to either the salt mix or the ESV 2 Part.

I see where you are combing from but to state that the calcium reactor does not replenish minor trace elements is inaccurate In my opinion. Anyone who puts a calcium reactor online will see a huge difference in sps right off the bat. I personally dose trace elements because my tank is sps dominant. A calcium reactor cannot keep up with my kh to calcium ratio so I dose calcium and trace elements to keep my chemistry where I want it to be
I stand corrected so do we agree that a calcium reactor replenishes some choice elements but not all

Going by what you're saying about your own calcium reactor it looks like you're saying you dose Trace elements even though you believe a calcium reactor does that for you, which I find puzzling , and always believe that if the calcium reactor is set properly it's only meant to stabilise your stats not increase or D crease that's why you need to keep adjusting to find the sweet spot .also by dosing calcium if you're not aware Will push your KH down can be a vicious circle. I would suggest water changes with a Salt brand that meets your needs Will bring things back in line for you.

I stand corrected so do we agree that a calcium reactor replenishes some choice elements but not all

Going by what you're saying about your own calcium reactor it looks like you're saying you dose Trace elements even though you believe a calcium reactor does that for you, which I find puzzling , and always believe that if the calcium reactor is set properly it's only meant to stabilise your stats not increase or D crease that's why you need to keep adjusting to find the sweet spot .also by dosing calcium if you're not aware Will push your KH down can be a vicious circle. I would suggest water changes with a Salt brand that meets your needs Will bring things back in line for you.

Yes I still dose trace elements even though I use a calcium reactor because my target levels cannot be met doing so. Filtration methods such as skimmer will export these nutrients and you will be left deficient. In theory, a calcium reactor maintains levels when it is dialed in. But when applied to a thriving sps dom tank you will come to realize that the uptake of calcium to dkh become inadequate. Another thing to keep in mind is if you want to keep your chemistry at what the calcium reactor provides to with. Our tanks are able to utilize lighting and nutrients to our discretion so dosing additional elements to keep your chemistry on point is a must even with a calcium reactor. Water changes in my opinion are all fine and dandy to bring your elements up if you do many of them, but as a result your nutrient levels are now imbalanced. Water chemistry is the true mystery of the hobby. Check this frag out after 100 days of water and light manipulation. Has decent growth and color in 100 days
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts