questions on buying fish online

limal17

hello I would like to buy some fishes online trough liveaquaria.com but I have never done this. Is it safe to buy online and what have been some good/bad experiences you guys have had with buying livestock online. Are there any websites you guys recommend ?

EasytoInk

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
In my opinion, I am better buy at the fish store because we can check the fish out, if you like it you buy it. At online, the pics is not realistic, if you got the fish and you dont like it, you cant return. Check out at ReefLoungeUSA, they have alot of fish, and can compete with the price of liveaquaria

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
One good thing about buying through live aquaria is the guarantee they give. You usually don't get that at a LFS.

Last edited:
hello I would like to buy some fishes online trough liveaquaria.com but I have never done this. Is it safe to buy online and what have been some good/bad experiences you guys have had with buying livestock online. Are there any websites you guys recommend ?
If you're buying from Live Aquaria, you're essentially buying from Quality Marine which is a wholesaler in CA. If you're buying from Live Aquaria's Diver's Den, you're buying from their facility in Wisconsin which condition and quarantine the fish for a short time. I prefer buying my fish from Diver's Den and I have always had a good experience with them. Especially if something dies. Of course, shipping and tax are gonna add to the cost.

Normally, LFS often price their fish based on Live Aquaria's website minus shipping. So if you can stomach shipping and tax, you're getting the same price, plus a 14 day no questions asked guarantee.

I like shopping online because there is more variety and there are often more rare fish.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I wanna say like 40 bucks for DD. I ordered 14 fish and the price of shipping was the same. Every fish bagged individually. Double bagged with a black liner to help with stress.

If I had to risk adding a fish without qt I'd order everything from DD. They don't do a FULL QT treatment though

limal17

thanks for the information. the reason I would like to buy online is because they can offer more types of fishes. I think in some websites they offer free shipping over a certain amount which is convenient because the shipping cost is quite a bit. If a fish did happen to die within the 14 days how can live aquaria replace it?

limal17

In my opinion, I am better buy at the fish store because we can check the fish out, if you like it you buy it. At online, the pics is not realistic, if you got the fish and you dont like it, you cant return. Check out at ReefLoungeUSA, they have alot of fish, and can compete with the price of liveaquaria
I checked out the reefloungeusa website and there were no fish pictures that are for sale.

hdoddballs

I always like to buy local, that way i can see what i am getting its a hassle to do returns .

I used to like liveaquaria since the prices were competitive and they guarantee the fish for 30 or 60 days sometimes, but I noticed after getting back into the hobby a year or two ago that their prices are kinda high now. If you can get free shipping by paying 225+ for your order it becomes more worth it. I've had mostly good experiences from live aquaria in terms of the quality of fish on arrival, even though you don't see what you are getting. Also things come smaller than you might expect sometimes.