Sump questions?

I recently bought a 75 gallon tank with a stand from petsmart and want to turn into a saltwater aquarium with my dad. I have a few questions regarding a sump. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but it's so much information.

1) The obvious, should I get get/ make a sump? or would a canister filer suffice?
2) The tank currently has no water in it. Should I drill a hole into it while I have a chance or buy an overflow?
3) what size tank should I use for the sump?
4) Would it be better to buy or build a sump?

I'm sure I have a few more questions but none are coming to mind, so feel free to give me some expert advice. Again I apologize for sounding so nooby. I really love how saltwater tanks look and I just want to do it right.

Regards,

Matt

1 yes buy a sump. I personally would use sump for SW
2 If you can and have the skills to drill then I would go that route, but makesure it's not tampered glass casue that's not drillable. If not, nothing wrong with a over flow.
3 30/40 gal should be good
4 depends on you. If you have the skills and tools to get down with your hands or you just want to buy one ready to drop in.
Good luck bro with your soon to be reef tank. One word of advice is to research research research and be patient and take your time. No need to apologize bro, the only dumb question you can ask is the one you don't ask...Happy reefing bud

I recently bought a 75 gallon tank with a stand from petsmart and want to turn into a saltwater aquarium with my dad. I have a few questions regarding a sump. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but it's so much information.

1) The obvious, should I get get/ make a sump? or would a canister filer suffice?
2) The tank currently has no water in it. Should I drill a hole into it while I have a chance or buy an overflow?
3) what size tank should I use for the sump?
4) Would it be better to buy or build a sump?

I'm sure I have a few more questions but none are coming to mind, so feel free to give me some expert advice. Again I apologize for sounding so nooby. I really love how saltwater tanks look and I just want to do it right.

Regards,

Matt
It's better to do maintenances and upgrade the equipments with a sump. With a canister you are consistently taking it apart to replace/clean the poly filter, it can be a mess when doing it

If the tank that you brought was not drilled, the easiest way is to get a overflow box. You might damage the tank if the glass is tempered when drilling. Save yourself the headache and $$$ with all the tools that you have to buy just to do an one time job.

The rule of thumb on sump size is half of your display tank. If you can go bigger go for it. The bigger the water volume the better your system can handle perimeters swing.

If you got the $$$ buy a sump, if not just build it. I believe is Petco is having a $1 / gal going on at the moment. All you need to do is add some baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's still new I'd probably take it back, trill the forums here and get a used tank, it will be cheaper, reef ready and 90% of the time will come with the sump. If you did this cus you wanted to have a project for you and your father, then I suggest Watchung some videos on YouTube by a guy called the king of diy. Loads of videos on do-it-yourself stuff for aquariums.