Aquascape advice

So I'm planning to redo my rocks. I have live rock. What is the best epoxy n is there anyway to do it to not have die off on my live rock. What would u guys advice or the best way to approach this. Any pics for idea would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I think drilling and using acrylic dowels is the best option, I like JB Water Weld (available at Home Depot and Lowe's) as an epoxy. I'm not sure how your tank will do if you use a large quantity all at once, but I've used a moderate amount without issue.

What would happen if I took live rock out n epoxy them together n put back on my tank after epoxy hardens?

What would happen if I took live rock out n epoxy them together n put back on my tank after epoxy hardens?

If I had to do that I would separate some tank water in a bucket. Then let the epoxy harden while the live rock remains submerged if you think there are any coral or creatures in there that you want kept underwater.

Then again live rock remains "live" for hours without being in water, so it's really at your own discretion.

carla

Just watched a BRS video about something called instant coral gum by Tunze - seems like best of both worlds between glue and putty - plan on trying soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are going to redo the whole thing, I would recommend macrorock mortar. With this stuff you are able to build cool overhangs and structures regardless of how heavy the Rock is. I have been using it for the past couple of tanks and couldn't be more pleased with what I was able to build. Here is my current tank aquascape for ideas. Good luck!
http://marcorocks.shopgate.com/item/3834

Sorry for the cloudy water, I just fed the tank.

Left side.

Right side table.

Just watched a BRS video about something called instant coral gum by Tunze - seems like best of both worlds between glue and putty - plan on trying soon

Keep me posted

carla

Gonna order some of the Tunze stuff today but will only use for placing coral. Our scape is all done - which was done with fiberglass rods and putty

Gonna order some of the Tunze stuff today but will only use for placing coral. Our scape is all done - which was done with fiberglass rods and putty

Keep me posted n let me know how it work. By any chance do you know the name or link? Thank you

carla

Thanks. An epoxy putty with out the smell. That would be wife approved for sure.
we really debated hot and heavy on how best to aquascape. But ended up with the regular putty (two part that you mix together like clay) that we got from LFS. It takes a long time to get hard but is moldable even when wet and we were able to make adjustments. But it was kind of messy to mix together and clung to fingers. and dries this strange reddish color that sticks out like a sore thumb in our tank. It will eventually get coraline on it but still ...
however, sticking down coral frags with super glue stuff was a nightmare. We just could not get the super glue stuff (sold in LFS) to work well at all ... ending up using too much and strings of glue floating in tank and all over our hands and counter top. ACK!! We are just new and don't have the smooth touch so it was messy. we ended up back with same putty for several coral frags but that didn't work very well either.
sooo ... lol ... very much hoping this new Tunze instant gum will work better. Seems like a good cross between the putty and the glue. Wish us luck!

we really debated hot and heavy on how best to aquascape. But ended up with the regular putty (two part that you mix together like clay) that we got from LFS. It takes a long time to get hard but is moldable even when wet and we were able to make adjustments. But it was kind of messy to mix together and clung to fingers. and dries this strange reddish color that sticks out like a sore thumb in our tank. It will eventually get coraline on it but still ...
however, sticking down coral frags with super glue stuff was a nightmare. We just could not get the super glue stuff (sold in LFS) to work well at all ... ending up using too much and strings of glue floating in tank and all over our hands and counter top. ACK!! We are just new and don't have the smooth touch so it was messy. we ended up back with same putty for several coral frags but that didn't work very well either.
sooo ... lol ... very much hoping this new Tunze instant gum will work better. Seems like a good cross between the putty and the glue. Wish us luck!
The trick is to use both epoxy putty and superglue.

Sandwich style, your putty is the ham and the superglue is the bread.

Frag- Super Glue- Epoxy Putty- Super Glue- Rock

Latest posts