Potassium to enhance blues

Nick_kun

Who here is dosing some sort of potassium to enhance blue colorations on their SPS?

A friend of mine suggested dosing 5 drops of lugols in my 180 gal tank, once a week. But I was also thinking about using this product from WM.

any experience with this product?

Sorry I have no experience with the Warner Marine product.
But I do believe potassium plays an important role in the coloration of sps.
Currently I rely on my salt brand to boost my Potassium levels (K+).
Natural Salt Water levels on Potassium is 380ppm.

If you want to dose that product I would suggest dosing only a small amount. Otherwise you should get a potassium test kit to avoid overdosing.

Hopefully some other people can chime in on their experience with dosing Potassium.

reef_doug

I only know of two products that can boost blues.. both are ZEOvit additives. One is Potassium Iodide Fluoride and the other is Jodi Complex. I believe it's actually the Iodide that does it and not the potassium part. To much Iodide can darken other corals so be careful. Iodide comes in different forms (iodate, iodide and others) I couldn't tell you the differences just that the ZEOvit Jodi Complex is a blending of them.

Potassium Chloride would boost the K levels but may have little effect on blues. It may brighten corals in general if the K level is low. Most salts are adequate with K levels, only bacterial systems may need supplementation due to the increased anaerobic activity.

Nick_kun

from what I've read, Jodi Complex is very similar the WM balanced Potassium. I just got a bottle today and testing it out. I'm doing 50% of the recommended dosage. I will keep everyone updated.

NVTE

I used Zeovit Potassium Iodide Fluoride, and some of my blue acro turn bluer, and Neon Green Birdnest got it color back Yay.

Latest posts