SWC 120 Skimmer Experience

Anyone used SWC 120 Skimmer? I am sick of my SCA not doing the job. I have a 50g reef with mostly zoa, also have some SPS.

Trying to see if it'll be a good move to get one used.

My SCA skimmer did work, you just have to keep it cleaned all the time. Skip the SWC because it gets back reviews and get the Skimz 121 because I have it on the same setup and its boss haha

Anyone used SWC 120 Skimmer? I am sick of my SCA not doing the job. I have a 50g reef with mostly zoa, also have some SPS.

Trying to see if it'll be a good move to get one used.
When it comes to Cone skimmers, its all about the pump. From the info, I've seen of the SWC, its an Atman pump which is the same pump as the SCA. The SWC body is superior, but the performance is probably going to the same.

Atman was the breakthrough econo skimmer pump 8-10 years ago. But they haven't changed or improved.

My suggestion for your size; Bubble Magus C7, Curve 5 or 7, Sea Side CS7, Your Choice DC13, Aqua Excel 301C or 401C

I've physically assembled and tested almost all of those models through my company.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
swc 120 is a great little skimmer. never had problems with those. now the bigger brother (swc 160) is a whole other story. those are notorious for failed pumps.

When it comes to Cone skimmers, its all about the pump. From the info, I've seen of the SWC, its an Atman pump which is the same pump as the SCA. The SWC body is superior, but the performance is probably going to the same.

Atman was the breakthrough econo skimmer pump 8-10 years ago. But they haven't changed or improved.

My suggestion for your size; Bubble Magus C7, Curve 5 or 7, Sea Side CS7, Your Choice DC13, Aqua Excel 301C or 401C

I've physically assembled and tested almost all of those models through my company.
Sorry to hijack thread. What type of pump for a SWC 250 would you recommend?

Thanks for the advice. I am actually leaning towards a new Curve 5 instead of used anything. Wanna go with something that I know is reliable.

let.it.go

Is there a good pump to replace the atman pump with minimal modification?

Thanks

Sorry to hijack thread. What type of pump for a SWC 250 would you recommend?
Seems to be 2 version of pump. One with dual PSK2500 and the other a modified Laguna pump. If yours are a dual PSK2500, they are still available online. If you have a hard time finding those, I have a few at my warehouse.

Thanks for the advice. I am actually leaning towards a new Curve 5 instead of used anything. Wanna go with something that I know is reliable.
BM Curve 5 is our hottest seller. For a wine glass body skimmer with a 209.99 online listed price tag, its tough to beat for what it can do. I've seen so many folks on this forum very happy with it on their nano

Is there a good pump to replace the atman pump with minimal modification?

Thanks
The issue is with where the pump is mounted. Skimmers with in-body mounted pump are difficult to substitute because the height of the water inlet, the location and size of the venturi is different from pump to pump. Often a substitute pump ends up being mounted outside of the those types of skimmers like the SWC150

Seems to be 2 version of pump. One with dual PSK2500 and the other a modified Laguna pump. If yours are a dual PSK2500, they are still available online. If you have a hard time finding those, I have a few at my warehouse.

I think mine has a bubble blaster, I just don't know the rating.

I think mine has a bubble blaster, I just don't know the rating.
Bubble Blaster is Reef Octopus... the single pump version for that model was a modified Laguna pump. If it is a bubble blaster, then it was second hand modified.

Bubble Blaster is Reef Octopus... the single pump version for that model was a modified Laguna pump. If it is a bubble blaster, then it was second hand modified.
Got it! So... I like the pump, and I want to make sure I can get my hands on one for back up. What would you say is a good size for the SWC 250 body? Is there a way I can tell on the pump its self?

Got it! So... I like the pump, and I want to make sure I can get my hands on one for back up. What would you say is a good size for the SWC 250 body? Is there a way I can tell on the pump its self?
If you need a Bubble Blaster, they're still readily available, I even got some. As for substitution pumps, compare the flow and air rates

I'd advise you not to get an SWC, lots of pump problems with those for sure.
SWC got a bad rep primarily due to the atman pumps. Their more expensive PSK and Laguna pump models were better performers. In all honesty, Atman pumps are not bad when they are WELL maintained. but 90% of us do not do the recommended thorough cleaning or any cleaning at all.... I myself am guilty, I go about a year or wait til skimming looks a bit weak.

If you need a Bubble Blaster, they're still readily available, I even got some. As for substitution pumps, compare the flow and air rates

SWC got a bad rep primarily due to the atman pumps. Their more expensive PSK and Laguna pump models were better performers. In all honesty, Atman pumps are not bad when they are WELL maintained. but 90% of us do not do the recommended thorough cleaning or any cleaning at all.... I myself am guilty, I go about a year or wait til skimming looks a bit weak.
Ya it must have been those Atman pumps then. I read numerous startup issues with those skimmers but that would explain it. I didn't clean my PSK 1000 for 4 years... had to finally replace the impeller recently.

Latest posts