Iodine supplement

Yup, heavy skimming accompanied by a heavy sps bioload leaves my tank at zero within days if I do not supplement. They say to be careful which I agree with, but I have also seen triton reports with guys accidentally running their tanks at 0.09 so Im not to concerned about overdosing anymore.

I dose three drops a day in my 650L tank and try to keep it in range of 0.03-0.06
I personally would advise to test on a regular basis as overdosing Will poison all your fish which I actually did a couple of years ago i'm lost over 42 fish but did not harm any corals So was a lesson learned the hard way for not regular testing. Also 0.09 you're starting to go into the danger zone based on my D&D test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a waste of time and money? Bc mostly the shrimps are benefit from it and very little to nothing for corals as supposed iodine is replenish when doing water change Maybe soft corals.

Do you guys see any positive respond after you dosed for awhile?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Just test for it. I didn't and over a 6 month period of 2 drops a day, ended up with extremely high levels on my triton test, a 690. I didn't lose anything but I think that was due to it slowly raising over a extended period of time.

If you're doing weekly water changes you won't need it but if you go lang periods of time between WC you will have to dose. up until recently Ive dosed it with out a test kit since I started this hobby 16 years ago.

I disagree with the statement that water changes are adequate enough to replace iodine. If your tank is using enough iodine to need to be replaced which is likely because skimming removes iodine, then you need to dose. If you test freshly mixed water it will be at 0.06 which is where you want it to be. If your tank is deficient then your WC water would need to be at least 0.09 to replace the missing element. 0.09 is in the danger zone. I personally have a heavy stocked sps tank and cannot keep up with my iodine drop When I realized my iodine tabs needed replaced I was at 0. It has taken me 3 weeks to even get to 0.02. My new tank will have Iodine on a doser. Those tabs are pricey

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Iodine supplementation is a fascinating topic. There are those that have done if for years and then stopped (Randy Holmes-Farley) and have seen no change. Others have started dosing and seem to state almost immediate positive response.

Seems that those that test find that it rapidly is consumed which would make one think that supplementation makes sense. But I don't know how good (accurate and reliable) Iodine test kits are.

Additionally, it seems you want Iodide or Iodate but not iodine. I have no idea which the test kits actually test for. Yet, Biggles Juice seems to advocate Brightwells Lugol which I believe is Iodine. So the bottomline for me, I am totally confused as to what to dose and what to test for and lastly if it makes a difference. I would like to understand it much better to be able to make sense out of it all.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Iodine supplementation is a fascinating topic. There are those that have done if for years and then stopped (Randy Holmes-Farley) and have seen no change. Others have started dosing and state almost immediate positive response.

Seems that those that test find that it rapidly is consumed which would make one think that supplementation makes sense. But I don't know how good (accurate and reliable) Iodine test kits are.

Additionally, it seems you want Iodide or Iodate but not iodine. I have no idea which the test kits actually test for. Yet, Biggles Juice seems to advocate Brightwells Lugol which I believe is Iodine. So the bottomline for me, I am totally confused as to what to dose and what to test for and lastly if it makes a difference. I would like to understand it much better to be able to make sense out of it all.

Iodine supplementation is a fascinating topic. There are those that have done if for years and then stopped (Randy Holmes-Farley) and have seen no change. Others have started dosing and state almost immediate positive response.

I think its the Iodide you want to use because the Iodate and Iodine and super concentrated. I also read that for example dosing lugols will in fact sanitize the immediate water where it is dosed and kill all the living bacteria in the area. They recommend dosing it daily so in my opinion this could cause a tank to become unbalanced. I personally dose the Idion made bybrightwell for these reasons and have had good success. To test I use the seachem test kit. I feel it to be pretty accurate. It comes with a reference solution so you are able to see if you mixed the solution properly. After setting up the test, I have referenced freshly mixed salt water and gotten 0.06 every time.

I think its the Iodide you want to use because the Iodate and Iodine and super concentrated. I also read that for example dosing lugols will in fact sanitize the immediate water where it is dosed and kill all the living bacteria in the area. They recommend dosing it daily so in my opinion this could cause a tank to become unbalanced. I personally dose the Idion made bybrightwell for these reasons and have had good success. To test I use the seachem test kit. I feel it to be pretty accurate. It comes with a reference solution so you are able to see if you mixed the solution properly. After setting up the test, I have referenced freshly mixed salt water and gotten 0.06 every time.

Usually I don't dose anything that I can't accurately test for consistently. I have dose iodine in the past and I think my zoas benefited from them? Mightve been placebo. Tbh nothing really changed so it didn't really help nor was it detrimental.

Latest posts