Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iodine supplementation is a fascinating topic. There are those that have done if for years and then stopped (Randy Holmes-Farley) and have seen no change. Others have started dosing and state almost immediate positive response.

Seems that those that test find that it rapidly is consumed which would make one think that supplementation makes sense. But I don't know how good (accurate and reliable) Iodine test kits are.

Additionally, it seems you want Iodide or Iodate but not iodine. I have no idea which the test kits actually test for. Yet, Biggles Juice seems to advocate Brightwells Lugol which I believe is Iodine. So the bottomline for me, I am totally confused as to what to dose and what to test for and lastly if it makes a difference. I would like to understand it much better to be able to make sense out of it all.

Registered Member
    Name
    Danny
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
    Iodine supplementation is a fascinating topic. There are those that have done if for years and then stopped (Randy Holmes-Farley) and have seen no change. Others have started dosing and state almost immediate positive response.

Seems that those that test find that it rapidly is consumed which would make one think that supplementation makes sense. But I don't know how good (accurate and reliable) Iodine test kits are.

Additionally, it seems you want Iodide or Iodate but not iodine. I have no idea which the test kits actually test for. Yet, Biggles Juice seems to advocate Brightwells Lugol which I believe is Iodine. So the bottomline for me, I am totally confused as to what to dose and what to test for and lastly if it makes a difference. I would like to understand it much better to be able to make sense out of it all.
    I think its the Iodide you want to use because the Iodate and Iodine and super concentrated. I also read that for example dosing lugols will in fact sanitize the immediate water where it is dosed and kill all the living bacteria in the area. They recommend dosing it daily so in my opinion this could cause a tank to become unbalanced. I personally dose the Idion made bybrightwell for these reasons and have had good success. To test I use the seachem test kit. I feel it to be pretty accurate. It comes with a reference solution so you are able to see if you mixed the solution properly. After setting up the test, I have referenced freshly mixed salt water and gotten 0.06 every time.

Registered Member
    Name
    Danny
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post

I think its the Iodide you want to use because the Iodate and Iodine and super concentrated. I also read that for example dosing lugols will in fact sanitize the immediate water where it is dosed and kill all the living bacteria in the area. They recommend dosing it daily so in my opinion this could cause a tank to become unbalanced. I personally dose the Idion made bybrightwell for these reasons and have had good success. To test I use the seachem test kit. I feel it to be pretty accurate. It comes with a reference solution so you are able to see if you mixed the solution properly. After setting up the test, I have referenced freshly mixed salt water and gotten 0.06 every time.

Registered Member
    Name
    Gary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually I don't dose anything that I can't accurately test for consistently. I have dose iodine in the past and I think my zoas benefited from them? Mightve been placebo. Tbh nothing really changed so it didn't really help nor was it detrimental.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information