Cycling New Set up question

Dipan00

187g Peninsula Mixed Reef
Supporter
My Tank Build
I think my tank is almost done cycling but I didn't get that huge spike in ammonia or Nitrites that everyone else gets. Tank is 100g with 40g sump/fuge. Here is what I have done to give you an idea Muriatric Acid washed all of my rock, Rinsed with RODI, Dried for 2 weeks, Put rocks in tank with carib arag alive fast cycling sand, Filled with water and used 10 gallons from an established system, Also threw in 4lbs of rock from established tank in fuge, day 1-3 threw a large shrimp from the market to decay in tank, end of day 3 pulled out rancid shrimp. Didnt test for days 1 or 2 but the image shows my parameters. Am I looking good to add fish and water change once nitrites hit 0?

Oh and also Skimmer was off for first 3 days and no lights have been on to avoid un-wanted algae growth. I also didn't get a diatom bloom.

Attachments

Short answer is no. You haven't cycled your tank. This is a process that takes weeks, not days. I think you pulled the shrimp too soon. Even though your numbers on your chart show what we expect (kinda, they didn't spike high or long enough) there is no way a substantial population of bacteria would be established that quickly.

Dipan00

Supporter
My Tank Build
Thanks for the response is there anything I should do or just let it sit and do its thing? Should I add Dr. Tims one and only? [MENTION=2634]Bouncingsoul393[/MENTION]

If you want to add Dr. Tims its ok as most ppl do as they are inpatient but i would still wait a week or two and see if you get any swings in your parameters

Thanks for the response is there anything I should do or just let it sit and do its thing? Should I add Dr. Tims one and only? [MENTION=2634]Bouncingsoul393[/MENTION]
Well you need to re-introduce an ammonia source and let it do it's thing for some weeks time. But If your set on adding live stock right away go for it yeah add Dr. Tim's that works great and only add a VERY limited amount of livestock, no SPS corals, only super hardy fish or coral. Corals don't really affect the bio load so your concern is fish and I wouldn't do any more than 2-3 fish then wait 4-6 weeks before adding any more fish.

Dipan00

Supporter
My Tank Build
Ok great thanks for the responses this helps clarify things a lot. Im in no rush to add fish and I only have 4 small guys but don't want to stress them out an throw them into the tank until its set.

All Delight

I've used dr tims one and only. It works as far as reducing the time, but it's still a process.

Latest posts