Can I turn off return pump and skimmer at night?

gabloo

Hello Guys,

I have a tank setup in my bedroom and the noise that made from herbie over flow is noticeable during bed time. I am wondering if I can turn off return pump and skimmer at night with one heater and 2 wave maker circulating the tank during that time. Is that doable or have anyone done similar to that? I would like to hear some comments and advice please.

Thank you!

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Where are your heaters?

edit: sorry just saw that you said you have one in the tank. I think you could do it if you really wanted to

I think so long as you have a powerhead breaking the water surface to create surface agitation in order to oxygenate your water you should be fine. Although, keep your eye on the nutrient levels. Some people turn there skimmers off 12 hours a day so its not totally uncommon.

You can definitely turn off your skimmer at night, regarding the return pump that questions was answered well already. You might consider using a lower GPH return pump. That will make it considerably quieter and maybe then you won't have to worry about turning something on and off every day.

Herbie drain is super quiet. Maybe you need to dial down the drain and/or return. Unless you have a durso drain, then you need to dial down the drain.

Just make sure you have check valves on the return lines, so that a siphon doesn't suck up fish into the return spouts when your pump goes off.

With your sump turned off the water in it will be stagnant and will deoxygenate. When this is turned back on each morning you may experience pH drops. Turning off the skimmer will also have the same affect, but if you can leave the skimmer running with the sump off it should help to mitigate any pH drops.

Either way, I'd bend pretty far to find a way around turning any of it off at night.

Michael Rice
Elite Reef, Denver Colorado

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
my herbie overflow is quiet, make sure you have it setup correctly. I have mine with a small trickle

I had my 50gal in the bed room when I first started. After a few weeks I got use to the noise and did not mid it at all.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I agree with going with a controllable DC return pump to turn down the flow at night time. Also if you decide to turn off the skimmer, I would go with a timer to make it one less thing to worry about

With your sump turned off the water in it will be stagnant and will deoxygenate. When this is turned back on each morning you may experience pH drops. Turning off the skimmer will also have the same affect, but if you can leave the skimmer running with the sump off it should help to mitigate any pH drops.

Either way, I'd bend pretty far to find a way around turning any of it off at night.

Michael Rice
Not if he runs powerheads to break the water's surface correct?

Correct, but he's also got to worry about what the sump's pH is at when it comes back on each time.

Michael Rice
I think the ph change would be minimal, and if he's worried about it, just light the fuge/sump on a reverse light cycle.

I think the ph change would be minimal, and if he's worried about it, just light the fuge/sump on a reverse light cycle.
The fuge light would definitely help. You also might be able to use a small pump and hose to recirculate the sump through itself while the return is off.

Michael Rice

gabloo

Hello Guys,

Thank you for tips and advice. I will play around with my over flow and see if i can get bring down the noise level. If that doesn't work, I will go with sump and power head route. Thank again!

isn't that turning off & on the pump daily can cause the pump to break down faster ? Rather than running continuously.

Just a thought.....:)
Yeah for sure. Good point. If its a #junkbao then FOR SURE. :)

I think trying to quiet down the drain with a new durso / herbie, gate valve, etc. would be the better way to do this.

isn't that turning off & on the pump daily can cause the pump to break down faster ? Rather than running continuously.

Just a thought.....:)
Indirectly, it can cause slow calcium build up which can seize the impeller assembly resulting in catastrophic pump failure/meltdown. Bubble Magus just released their DSP pump line that has a built in rear chip which cuts off power to the pump whenever it runs dry, impeller seizes or pump over heats.

Yeah for sure. Good point. If its a #junkbao then FOR SURE. :)

I think trying to quiet down the drain with a new durso / herbie, gate valve, etc. would be the better way to do this.
everything China and DC is 80% junkbao/junkcod... whether it tells you that or not :)..

Letsgotothezoo

Premium Member
Supporter
I have my Reef Octopus DC and it works flawlessly and never let me down. I think Most pumps made in china now, except tunze and Red Dragon line. Even the Ecotech Vectra also made in China.....ha ha ha.

Indirectly, it can cause slow calcium build up which can seize the impeller assembly resulting in catastrophic pump failure/meltdown. Bubble Magus just released their DSP pump line that has a built in rear chip which cuts off power to the pump whenever it runs dry, impeller seizes or pump over heats.

everything China and DC is 80% junkbao/junkcod... whether it tells you that or not :)..

Tunze is Sicce factory and I think Royal E. is in-house. You're right, 80% of the market is from China

I have my Reef Octopus DC and it works flawlessly and never let me down. I think Most pumps made in china now, except tunze and Red Dragon line. Even the Ecotech Vectra also made in China.....ha ha ha.

Latest posts