What are some good fish stores near Ontario?

Hey guys! Looks like we're finally getting a place. We're tentatively approved for an apartment in Ontario and should be moving in on Tuesday or Wednesday. So, I'm trying to get ready to set my reef back up!

What are some good LFS in or nearest to the IE (particularly Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga area)? Let's get this party started!

Jan's Tropical Fish on the south east corner of Central & Moreno in Montclair. Take the 10 FWY, Get off on Central, it is a right, and then a right into the shopping center. It is toward the Fallas Apparel across from Petco & Harbor Freight. They have FW and SW, and their layout is well designed. They don't have a tremendous selection of exotics, but their livestock is generally very good, and the markup vs Orange County stores is only about 10 to 15%, so for just a few items you save money vs the drive to OC. They carry a good selection of the Reef Nutrition line of products, which is handy if you ever need some of those, and they have an amazing stock of general dry goods.

Rancho Tropical Reef on Foothill in Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario is also pretty good. It is off the 10/15 Fwy. Take the Foothill exit, and head west, and it is on the North (right) side of the street about 2 or 3 blocks as you pass Victoria Gardens (big shopping center you'll probably spend a bit of time at, living in that part of Inland Empire). He has alot of Softies and some LPS, and focuses on easier to care for fish. he'll have Target Gobies, occasionally Mandarins, and some blennies, and clownfish galore. He is a generally nice guy, but try not to get too many opinions in. His stock is good, but his advice can feel a little bit threatening at times (he insists that his RO water is the cleanest in southern california, and might provoke an argument if you say you've found an RO dispenser that is just fine). He has some great deals on frags. If you buy 3 of the 10 dollar frags, you get 1 frag free. If you buy 2 of the 20 dollar frags, you get one free, and there is some sort of delineation from there. If he is in a good mood, he'll occasionally "slip" a 20 dollar frag into the 10 dollar frag rack for you.

Some people like Mystic Reef in North West Riverside. I've never been there, but it is only about a 15 minute drive from Ontario.

There is also Fontana Tropical fish that has some interesting specimens, but the only time I went in there, I counted some dead fish in their display tanks, which is always a little uncomfortable for me.

The best places, you need to drive down the 57 or 15 Freeways, hop onto the 91 from there and branch out.

My personal favorite is Age of Aquariums in Long Beach/Signal Hill. It is a 150 mile round trip for me, but worth every penny of gas in savings alone. Their selection of SW and FW is simply amazing, and their display tanks are gargantuan.

Pet Supreme in Sylmar is good, but it is an even further drive, in most cases, than AoA, which is still superior. Pet Supreme is an amazing general pets store that is independent, and has a humungous frag rack in the back. Their SW selection of fish isn't too great, and the prices on everything is not too fantastic, but if there is a particular type of coral you are interested in, you can usually find it there and in very good health.

Not really any worth your money. OC is more than worth the drive. There's a new one in San Bernardino that should be opening soon that looks promising. Maks corals

Jan's Tropical Fish on the south east corner of Central & Moreno in Montclair. Take the 10 FWY, Get off on Central, it is a right, and then a right into the shopping center. It is toward the Fallas Apparel across from Petco & Harbor Freight. They have FW and SW, and their layout is well designed. They don't have a tremendous selection of exotics, but their livestock is generally very good, and the markup vs Orange County stores is only about 10 to 15%, so for just a few items you save money vs the drive to OC. They carry a good selection of the Reef Nutrition line of products, which is handy if you ever need some of those, and they have an amazing stock of general dry goods.

Rancho Tropical Reef on Foothill in Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario is also pretty good. It is off the 10/15 Fwy. Take the Foothill exit, and head west, and it is on the North (right) side of the street about 2 or 3 blocks as you pass Victoria Gardens (big shopping center you'll probably spend a bit of time at, living in that part of Inland Empire). He has alot of Softies and some LPS, and focuses on easier to care for fish. he'll have Target Gobies, occasionally Mandarins, and some blennies, and clownfish galore. He is a generally nice guy, but try not to get too many opinions in. His stock is good, but his advice can feel a little bit threatening at times (he insists that his RO water is the cleanest in southern california, and might provoke an argument if you say you've found an RO dispenser that is just fine). He has some great deals on frags. If you buy 3 of the 10 dollar frags, you get 1 frag free. If you buy 2 of the 20 dollar frags, you get one free, and there is some sort of delineation from there. If he is in a good mood, he'll occasionally "slip" a 20 dollar frag into the 10 dollar frag rack for you.

Some people like Mystic Reef in North West Riverside. I've never been there, but it is only about a 15 minute drive from Ontario.

There is also Fontana Tropical fish that has some interesting specimens, but the only time I went in there, I counted some dead fish in their display tanks, which is always a little uncomfortable for me.

The best places, you need to drive down the 57 or 15 Freeways, hop onto the 91 from there and branch out.

My personal favorite is Age of Aquariums in Long Beach/Signal Hill. It is a 150 mile round trip for me, but worth every penny of gas in savings alone. Their selection of SW and FW is simply amazing, and their display tanks are gargantuan.

Pet Supreme in Sylmar is good, but it is an even further drive, in most cases, than AoA, which is still superior. Pet Supreme is an amazing general pets store that is independent, and has a humungous frag rack in the back. Their SW selection of fish isn't too great, and the prices on everything is not too fantastic, but if there is a particular type of coral you are interested in, you can usually find it there and in very good health.
Awesome and very helpful response! Thanks! I'm limited on drive time today, so it's very helpful to have a list of good local spots. I'll check some of these out today.

I'll definitely check out AoA on a day when I can make the drive!

Not really any worth your money. OC is more than worth the drive. There's a new one in San Bernardino that should be opening soon that looks promising. Maks corals
I absolutely plan to branch out. There are several stores in the LA and OC areas that I definitely want to get to, but I have a couple of hours free today, so I won't have time to make that drive. I'll try to check out the local stuff in IE,but definitely planning to get to Vivid Aquariums, Sexy Corals, Reef Raft, Reef Lounge, Age of Aquariums, Unique Corals when I have a little more drive time available...any others I should add to the list for the broader areas?

I'm also going to check out Aqua SD while at MACNA! :D

Last edited:
The best chili verde and carnitas in southern california is at a place in Calimesa called Casa Trejo. They are around the corner from a place called Shillington's. He has strange hours, and they are incorrect online, so make sure to call ahead. He is another guy who is way too opinionated for the good of his own business, but he carries some decent softies and inverts. The clownfish I bought from him died overnight.

Pet World in San Bernardino sometimes has sick deals on some AIO/Plug n Play systems. They have an amazing selection of dry goods and specialty chemicals products.

Be wary of their livestock though. All of their filtration runs through the same system and they don't quarantine. I, as well as others on here have had complete system wipes after purchases of FW and SW livestock, and they guarantee nothing. If you need live foods, like Phyco Pure go on Wednesdays and Sundays. They get their shipments on those days and sell out fast.

Sent using TAPATALK via Android

limal17

i thought MAk corals was on E st. and century ave. ? I think at this time he is taking appointments but the store hasn't officially opened yet.

As long as you qt properly the fish store doesn't really matter. What matters is survival rate. If you want to gamble that the fish makes it through qt then go find whatever you want close, make sure it's eating and cross your fingers. Of course this can be said for any LFS but in general the OC stores have better systems and pick better/healthier fish IMO. I haven't been to Reeflounge lately because it is a direct shipper which means they are like a wholesaler so their fish go through an initial die off. Don't go on new shipment days, wait a few days for the fish to settle in.

TankMasta

As long as you qt properly the fish store doesn't really matter. What matters is survival rate. If you want to gamble that the fish makes it through qt then go find whatever you want close, make sure it's eating and cross your fingers. Of course this can be said for any LFS but in general the OC stores have better systems and pick better/healthier fish IMO. I haven't been to Reeflounge lately because it is a direct shipper which means they are like a wholesaler so their fish go through an initial die off. Don't go on new shipment days, wait a few days for the fish to settle in.
I now prefer to go when places get there shipments. I just bought a copper band at a store while it was still in the bag from the whole seller and it mysis the first day

Latest posts