Skimmers. Personal opinion on several

Duraace9sp

2020 Philanthropist
Several o my aquarium buddies have been trying to get me to participate on the site more......I'm not too active. The last ew years I have had as many as 5 tanks up and running at the same time and am currently with the three in the pics below, two 100's and a 50 cube. I have also had a cadlights 18 rigged with sump, skimmer, and chiller, dosing etc same as the bigger tanks, as well as jbj nano. In this evolution I've had a handfull of skimmers from pretty poor pretty darn decent.
The 50 gallon is a dedicated seahorse tank, one o the 100's id an sps tank and the other is mixed reef

The 50 is a sc aquariums - came with the worst skimmer even in the little scan skimmer. I moved this to the 18 gallon cadlights, where it was adequate. The problem was the sump was so poorly designed you can't fit a skimme sized or medium to heave bio load or this size system. I cut out the glass separating the overflow chamber from the skimmer chamber doubling the skimme chamber size. This allowed me to buy a bubble magus curve 5. I set it up and the **** thing wouldn't work. I in ally inured out it was due to the SC sump again is it held about 6-7" water only. I then cut two pieces o glass 2-1/2" tall by width so skimmer and caulked them in on the bubble separators increasing depth to 9+ inches. Bam. Skimmer works!

What a huge difference. The fist day it was skimming and in the third week it was heavily skimming. Tiny white bubbles palming o the top and consistent. It didn't need much adjusting, quitter then the other skimmer despite being about 3 times larger. The improvement can't be overstated From constant overflowing or no skimming to consistent and constant skimming in a system with a very heavy bio load. Worked great - to the point I had to empty the cup about every three days max.

I ran this about 9 months and it was the biggest skimmer I could fit in this sump unless I cut the eugium section out.......until the bubble magus G7 came out...

Curve 5 is and was a great skimmer which I don't need to say much about as reviews are all over the net........

Currently I am running a bubble magus G7, a Nyos 220, and a your choice aquatics DC22. Between these I had aquamaxx es300 and aquamaxx cone S q3. ...... I see if I can get commentary on these as well........

See ya

Attachments

Latest posts