QT help

so, the tank has been cycling for a month and all seems well, i decided to setup a qt using tank water.
it has a large sponge filter thats been sitting in the sump from the beginning and a cannister filter. inside the cannister is just filter floss for keep detritus from the tank. a heater and a digital temp probe

Ammonia: 0.00
Nitrite: 0.00
Nitrate: 10.0
PH 8.0
SG: 1.020
Temp: 82f
all done with API test kits

yesterday i bought a yellow tail tamarin wrasse. it was swimming well and eating mysis. i dripped acclimated the fish for about 40 mins then temp floated it for 30mins. drained the water and added the fish, kept the lights low and left him for a few hours. tried feeding him some pellets, he was eating them then spitting them out, so i gave some mysis, which he ate. dimmed the lights for a few hours then turned them off for the night.

this morning i noticed he was hovering around the top gasping for air. so i started testing,

Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 15.0
PH 7.4
Temp 82f

and did a 50% water change prier to writing this (3pm PST) gonna see if anything change and added a medium sized airstone

is this normal? if not what im i doing wrong? i was told to keep the SG lower and temp higher to speed up the life cycle of the pest (if any). im going to use copper then prazi. but for now i want to monitor it and make sure its eating first before i add any chems, does this seem right?

thanks again guys

Nitrite should be at 0.0, 82f seems kinda high especially if you have it in a small tank. do you have powerhead or air stones to oxygenate the water?

The tank is a 30g half filled so about 15g. I have a 10g too but I picked this tank cus is was longer. I added an air stone today. Should I lower it to 80f?

ideally you want you your temp to 72-78, i guess 80 is on the higher end. Remember the higher the temp the less oxygen is in the water. Hence your fish breathing funny or rather gasping for air. you can dose Microbacter7 (MB7) to help with the converting NO2 down to a safer level.

The DT is at 78f, like inside I was told to make it higher for a QT, I did add some macrobactor7 when I first started the qt akin to a low nutrient tank. Set the qt on Friday and added it on Sat. I'm gonna lower it to 80f and see if that helps.

so, the tank has been cycling for a month and all seems well, i decided to setup a qt using tank water.
it has a large sponge filter thats been sitting in the sump from the beginning and a cannister filter. inside the cannister is just filter floss for keep detritus from the tank. a heater and a digital temp probe

Nitrite: 0.00
Nitrate: 10.0
PH 8.0
Temp: 82f
all done with API test kits

yesterday i bought a yellow tail tamarin wrasse. it was swimming well and eating mysis. i dripped acclimated the fish for about 40 mins then temp floated it for 30mins. drained the water and added the fish, kept the lights low and left him for a few hours. tried feeding him some pellets, he was eating them then spitting them out, so i gave some mysis, which he ate. dimmed the lights for a few hours then turned them off for the night.

this morning i noticed he was hovering around the top gasping for air. so i started testing,

Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 15.0
PH 7.4
Temp 82f

and did a 50% water change prier to writing this (3pm PST) gonna see if anything change and added a medium sized airstone

is this normal? if not what im i doing wrong? i was told to keep the SG lower and temp higher to speed up the life cycle of the pest (if any). im going to use copper then prazi. but for now i want to monitor it and make sure its eating first before i add any chems, does this seem right?

thanks again guys
These fish are extremely difficult to acclimate, so it may not even be your parameters. They're known to be hard to keep.

These fish are extremely difficult to acclimate, so it may not even be your parameters. They're known to be hard to keep.
Being an absolute beginner everything is a challenge for me right now lol, thankfully the fish wasn't that expensive so being in the deep end is less of a concern then doing things right. As long as I'm doing it right I'm happy to learn in the deep end. Expect more noob questions lol

Latest posts