Overflow blowout possibilities

I generally don't fill up tanks without matching the internal overflow level to the tank level. I'm leak testing a used cube tank with this type overflow.
image.jpg

It's a 36" cube 130ish gallons. Is the overflow safe from collapsing with this much water pressure or should I block off the bulkheads and match the level like usual? I've never done this on "big" cube tanks. Thanks for the input. I think [MENTION=5085]newtothis[/MENTION] just sold a 36" cube that had an overflow drain setup he emptied every time he cleaned the sump.

Your not going to have an issue, if overflow were to collapse then you don't want that tank anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally don't fill up tanks without matching the internal overflow level to the tank level. I'm leak testing a used cube tank with this type overflow.
View attachment 54183

It's a 36" cube 130ish gallons. Is the overflow safe from collapsing with this much water pressure or should I block off the bulkheads and match the level like usual? I've never done this on "big" cube tanks. Thanks for the input. I think [MENTION=5085]newtothis[/MENTION] just sold a 36" cube that had an overflow drain setup he emptied every time he cleaned the sump.
you should be fine. If you really look a the overflow, it consist of a glass backing with an acrylic cover. its done this way to save cost in cutting the weir on acrylic is cheaper than CNC glass. An yes, i utilize a herbie drain w/o a stand pipe on my main. So when the return is off, my overflow completely drain leaving an empty clean overflow.

Latest posts