Question for Algae Scrubber Users

Hey guys,
So word on the street is that these algae scrubber do hickys will grow the algae and prevent all the algae growth in your display. Is this true? Are tanks equipped with these scrubbers really algae free. Can anyone share a pic of their tank and setup. I run a super high nutrient tank and get some red coroline algae looking stuff that seems to be the one algae that my clean up crew will not touch. Will the algae scrubber prevent the growth of this stuff? Thanks in advance. I will post a pic when I get a chance

I have one that's worked out well for me. Cheap and easy, good growth from a Wavepoint blu led.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Hey guys,
So word on the street is that these algae scrubber do hickys will grow the algae and prevent all the algae growth in your display. Is this true? Are tanks equipped with these scrubbers really algae free. Can anyone share a pic of their tank and setup. I run a super high nutrient tank and get some red coroline algae looking stuff that seems to be the one algae that my clean up crew will not touch. Will the algae scrubber prevent the growth of this stuff? Thanks in advance. I will post a pic when I get a chance
No, its not magic that will make all algae disappear. You gotta do more research on it to fully understand it. Its not something you can explain with a few words. Anyways that "coroline algae looking stuff" as you call it, is called lobophora. I've seen it come in one many of the SPS. Its a pain to get rid of.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20141213/278eb344340e5054750314031ba53fd1.jpg

You might wanna look into why you are having such high nutrients. I have a lot more fish than you and don't have any algae issues, no cyano, no gha, no bubble algae only a few aiptasia here and there... I'll post a video if you want...

No, its not magic that will make all algae disappear. You gotta do more research on it to fully understand it. Its not something you can explain with a few words. Anyways that "coroline algae looking stuff" as you call it, is called lobophora. I've seen it come in one many of the SPS. Its a pain to get rid of.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20141213/278eb344340e5054750314031ba53fd1.jpg

You might wanna look into why you are having such high nutrients. I have a lot more fish than you and don't have any algae issues, no cyano, no gha, no bubble algae only a few aiptasia here and there... I'll post a video if you want...
I have done lots of research and understand the concept of how the algae on the scrubber will out compete the algae in the display for nutrients thus starving them. I purposely run high nutrients to maintain healthy sps, but that red stuff is getting annoying. I am going to do some research on that lobophora stuff. Thanks for the heads up!!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
It may help. If the ATS worked well enough to starve out/out compete the algae in the display I don't think you'd have a high nutrient tank anymore. even if you ran the same light schedule for both DT and ATS excess nutrients + lights gonna equal algae of some kind.

Latest posts