DIY: Macro Algae Reactor

WOW!!! how long that take?
A while to get that far. Its so dense that the cheato started swirling the ends. It was well OVERDUE for trimming. I lightly packed it, now light can barely penetrate.

This thing works great, it also screens detritus. The more detritus get stuck in their, the faster it grows.

adrianocampo

Premium Member
Supporter
Alright so finally got around to buying all the pieces and making a reactor with all the materials [MENTION=9438]VCReefing[/MENTION] used.
Aquamaxx Reactor, Fans, PVC tubing, LED strip. Huge thanks to [MENTION=5734]SandStorm[/MENTION] for helping me build this

Now lets fire her up!

Alright so finally got around to buying all the pieces and making a reactor with all the materials [MENTION=9438]VCReefing[/MENTION] used.
Aquamaxx Reactor, Fans, PVC tubing, LED strip. Huge thanks to [MENTION=5734]SandStorm[/MENTION] for helping me build this

Now lets fire her up!
Really nice. How much growth are u getting
With those lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now lets fire her up!
Looks awesome!! How are those strips holding up in the pvc? I'm using those strips as under cabinet lighting and the stickiness wears off and had to glue them to make them stay.

Does putting in the black pvc help or just to keep light in

The black is ABS i think and is more aesthetic but it looks good while blocking escaping pink light from glowing in the room. White PVC would more ideal to recycle all the escaping light. White will reflect over 80% of the light back while black will absorb most of the light that hits it.

The black is ABS i think and is more aesthetic but it looks good while blocking escaping pink light from glowing in the room. White PVC would more ideal to recycle all the escaping light. White will reflect over 80% of the light back while black will absorb most of the light that hits it.
Thinking the same thing that white would be a lot better but if ur going with looks then black but seems like white would only add to the reactor in growth

SantaMonica

Premium Member
Supporter
I think it was mentioned how other macros "kill" the chaeto. Well it's not with toxins... it's with more photosynthesis... meaning they filter more. The reason is that chaeto is thick and blocks light, which stops filtering. Other macros, especially GHA, are thin and let light and flow get through. So, the other macros out-compete the chaeto. Here is a nice study:

"Production within dense mats of the filamentous macroalga Chaetomorpha linum in relation to light and nutrient availability"

http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/134/m134p207.pdf

This is a good study, because chaeto is familiar, and because some people consider putting it in a refugium instead of using a scrubber.

Fig 5B shows how, under bright light, chaeto productivity (filtering) drops 72 percent with just 2 cm of chaeto thickness.

drawman

Now lets fire her up!
Awesome build! Do you have a link to the leds/power supply/fan that you got (I'm assuming it was the same on amazon)? I need to get my shopping list in order :)

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
[MENTION=1182]SantaMonica[/MENTION] got me thinking about chaeto loosing filtering properties if it gets thick.
What if this type of reactor combined with a mesh screen like a ATS? Have the mesh sit inside the reactor in a cyclinder shape.
That way GHA can attach and can be used instead of chaeto.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts