Cable modem with wireless router capability? Help?

Anyone here have any recommendations of what is the best cable modem with wireless routing capability? Seems like ARRIS is the way to go from what I've been reading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Motorola n arris are the 2 best out. Any thing that is docis3 is is the way to go if you are looking 300mbps service.

For wifi, go with or look for a dual band 5.4ghz

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
You do not want a modem with a router. I would suggest having the modem 'bridged', call cable company to do. Buy the best wifi router you can afford.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You do not want a modem with a router. I would suggest having the modem 'bridged', call cable company to do. Buy the best wifi router you can afford.

Right now I'm running what i think is a bridge. I have my cable modem from cox for free and then connected my router (cisco wireless n - forgot the model it's upstairs I'm too lazy to go up and check). My problem is the Internet is super slow lately. I can't figure out if my modem or router is bad. I'd say it's my wireless router cause I use that more than my wired.

[MENTION=11086]theMerchant[/MENTION] do you believe It's faster or have better functionality? I want to upgrade both so I'm looking into saving some cash by buying the bundle. What's the downside of the 2 in 1?

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Most likely your modem isn't bridged.
So you have a double NAT (network address translation). Not gong to be good if you want to port forward stuff like Apex. If your not getting the speeds your are paying for I would first contact your Internet provider and complain.
The router has more to do with speeds, sometimes the cache is full and needs to be reset more often on cheaper wifi routers.
If you got the modem from Cox, check if your being charged monthly for equipment. Buying your own will save you that cost.
I would look into getting fiber (fios or att) if you can. I'm paying for 100/100 mbps since I think that's plenty fast for what I need. It only costs me ~ $65 a month.

Most likely your modem isn't bridged.
So you have a double NAT (network address translation). Not gong to be good if you want to port forward stuff like Apex. If your not getting the speeds your are paying for I would first contact your Internet provider and complain.
The router has more to do with speeds, sometimes the cache is full and needs to be reset more often on cheaper wifi routers.
If you got the modem from Cox, check if your being charged monthly for equipment. Buying your own will save you that cost.
I would look into getting fiber (fios or att) if you can. I'm paying for 100/100 mbps since I think that's plenty fast for what I need. It only costs me ~ $65 a month.

I had that problem with port forwarding with my radions it was a pain. I live in a small community where cable is built in the home owners association so I don't really have a choice of switching. Cox is good I know it's my router but the modem is so old I was thinking of upgrading it. The modem was already there when I moved in which is almost a decade now.

Thanks for the info that was very helpful. I will look into implementing the bridge you mentioned. I was never really aware of that.