Acro crabs -- Who chooses to use / keep them with their SPS?

defugium

How do you remove from a coral with out dipping a coral? Or would you risk not dipping a wild Acro because it's covered in crabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rusted180

Premium Member
Supporter
^^^ What he said lol But on a real note they are super hard to get into your system intentionally. I have just recently been able to acquire one that has made it. They are extremely fragile
Wow! Didn't know they were fragile inverts. I guess they jump out during shipment or not as hardy as other crabs I've seen in the trade?

Some people remove them gently with forceps, other methods are unknown to me.

Wow! Didn't know they were fragile inverts. I guess they jump out during shipment or not as hardy as other crabs I've seen in the trade?
They're not as hardy in some cases, and if you dip your corals and don't notice them they're toast of course. Not to mention, some crappy LFS have sold pest crabs as acro crabs... So because of this i've read they have a bad stigma, as in, they are parasitic to the coral rather than symbiotic (which isn't true)

I'm sitting here watching my corals and honestly, I can't wait until they're big enough to add a couple of these guys.

There's some real striking looking acro crabs out there too. I have a feeling the way my Melanurus eyes every nook and cranny that she'd rip one of these little crabs apart though.