Feeding a Harlequin

djam

Hey all,

My Harlequin did a great job cleaning my my Asterina stars and now I'm stuck with nothing for it to eat. Anyone have any asterina they are willing to part with, I can throw you some Xenia frags in exchange if you want. Other options are cheap star fish...

Thanks.

ive heard people get chocolate chip stars, and cut on leg off every week or so with bone cutters.. if you want to try it like that

I had the same problem. You're going to have to feed it a chocolate chip star. If you get a big one it should last around 2 weeks. You can get a whole bunch of them and cut off appendages but you will need enough to allow them to regenerate.

djam

might be a better idea to pass the harlequin to someone else with a PIF when they are done.
I thought about that, but frankly catching him in my tank might be **** near impossible. It's got too much rock and too deep. He is also one of my favorites, he is super friendly and likes to "hang out" and watch people from under the various overhangs.

djam

I had the same problem. You're going to have to feed it a chocolate chip star. If you get a big one it should last around 2 weeks. You can get a whole bunch of them and cut off appendages but you will need enough to allow them to regenerate.
I was thinking about this as a second option, the asteria stars being the first choice. If I remember you can cut a starfish in 1/2 and it will regrow. I'm thinking of throwing the extras in the areas of my sump without pumps. or maybe I could throw 4-5 star fish in there so he spreads out the carnage.

I was thinking about this as a second option, the asteria stars being the first choice. If I remember you can cut a starfish in 1/2 and it will regrow. I'm thinking of throwing the extras in the areas of my sump without pumps. or maybe I could throw 4-5 star fish in there so he spreads out the carnage.
You can cut them in half and they will regrow but it does take time. Either way you'll be spending between 10 and 15 dollars a month to feed it until you have enough CS that regenerate.

Hey all,

My Harlequin did a great job cleaning my my Asterina stars and now I'm stuck with nothing for it to eat. Anyone have any asterina they are willing to part with, I can throw you some Xenia frags in exchange if you want. Other options are cheap star fish...

Thanks.
I can give you somewhere between 20-30 if you like. No frags needed in return. Still dealing with the aftermath of a MASSIVE ALK swing.
I'm home today in Anaheim if you'd like to grab lunch for Mr Harlequin

djam

Sounds great, Mr. Harlequin (or Al as i call him) will PM you my contact info.

djam

Ben, thanks for the stars, once I assured Al they were gluten free and organic he decided he would eat one.

Ben, thanks for the stars, once I assured Al they were gluten free and organic he decided he would eat one.
Glad it worked out. Nice chatting with you today, and look forward to seeing you at the next SCMAS meeting!!

Rotate 4-5 chocolate chip star,. Use a new razor blade and tap on the top with hammer to cut. They are very hard. You need to cut just past the second knob on a arm. Stay away from mouth area. I had a pair that would eat one leg a week. Had them probably 6-8 months. A few years back now.

A chocolate chip star costs like 5 bucks, i feed a leg a week so it doesnt even cost a dollar a week to feed. And thats AFTER you run out of pest asternia stars which are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new captive bred Hawaiian Ones are nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts