Kalkwasser question

I've recently increased the number of corals in my tank and started to add SPS. I am leaning toward using Kalkwasser to maintain my Alk and Calcium for now. Will a Kalkwasser stirrer make a big difference? Kalk seems like the simplest and most economical method for the coral load I have. Is there any reason not to do it?

Thanks

I use kalk water for my ATO, been using for ~ 8 months with no issue. start with 1 tsp per gallon of RODI. Saturation is 2tsp per gallon. I am at 8tsp for 5 gallon container.

I've recently increased the number of corals in my tank and started to add SPS. I am leaning toward using Kalkwasser to maintain my Alk and Calcium for now. Will a Kalkwasser stirrer make a big difference? Kalk seems like the simplest and most economical method for the coral load I have. Is there any reason not to do it?

Thanks
Yes reactor is the best way to go. You are able to control the amount dosed daily opposed to in the ATO which is determined by your evaporation rate.

Thx for the replies.

Any thoughts on which Kalk stirrer is best for a reasonable price? Was shocked how much they were

ive been reading that kalk will eventually wear out your pump on the ato. for a cheaper alternative try the brs auto dripper

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-diy-kalk-dripper-kit.html

much cheaper, means you'll have to mix daily. but it uses no power/pumps or reactors. ikea do some nice containers with semi air tight lids, probably like $8 each. grab two. use one and have one mixed on standby.

also, not how true this is, but ive been told kalk acts more like a buffer then direct increase. so eventually you will outuse this. increasing the amount of kalk will only increase precipitation. funny tho, for the price of a kalk stirrer you can get a doser and chems for a few months.

If you're going to go the kalk route, I'd avoid doing through your ATO. Speaking from experience, if for some reason your ATO gets stuck and pumps all that saturated water into your tank, your alk is going to spike pretty quickly. IMO I'd do a stirrer if you're going that route. HTH!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
use a reactor and use a doser. the doser get water from from the ato pump water into the reactor as the reactor fills it will put kalk water in the sump

use a reactor and use a doser. the doser get water from from the ato pump water into the reactor as the reactor fills it will put kalk water in the sump
Not sure I am following this. Is the reactor inline between the ato and the sump? What kind of reactor?

greeniejr

Kalkwasser is pretty nasty to pumps, and it can be problematic in an auto top off, so a doser sounds like a good option. I'm not sure how the reactor's involved but you'd probably have to run some vinegar through the doser every so often to prevent clogging, but it's probably the safest and cheapest way to ensure you won't bomb you take with kalk, overflow the tank, ect.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Not sure I am following this. Is the reactor inline between the ato and the sump? What kind of reactor?
i find the stir reactors are the best. the pumps to mix your kalk usually mess up really fast.

if you run adoser pump intake from the ato, out going to the reactors in. on the reactor out going into your sump. this way the kalk doesnt mess up your doser pump

Latest posts