QT ammonia

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
So I confirmed I have ammonia in the QT. between .5-1 on my api. Left the lid on my mixing container and my new water is 86. Got a fan and trash bag of ice trying to cool it down.

I added some prime and the tank seemed to get immediately stressed. Flashing all around. Powder brown is doing laps and swimming into the power head. I have a air stone in there. Are there issues with prime and oxygen levels? Or am I just noticing symptoms of ammonia or nitrite toxicity?

At this point am I better to add fresh mixed water or would water from my DT be a better option? I've been running the same carbon in my DT for a few weeks now. Could I place that carbon in a bag to put in my QT filter for added beneficial bacteria?

im new to this stuff, so a grain of salt with what i say. i would do a 50% water change now then a 10% every other day. test each day. to make sure you're not dropping things too fast. then look at whats making your ammonia spike?
what filtration are you using? does that filtration have any beneficial bacteria on it? how big is your QT compared to your filtration?

if your DT is established you shouldnt have any ammonia so would be safe to add to the qt. at this point your DT might have higher params that really shouldn't effect the fish so really makes no difference.
depending what you are running in your QT putting carbon is a no-no. it will remove chemicals such as copper and doesn't really hold any anaerobic/aerobic to break down the ammonia.

im sure people with better knowledge will chime in. but i think we can all agree water changes should always be your first thing to do elevated ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I agree Andy. I did 2 50% water changes that day to make sure I rid the tank of Prime before adding copper and to knock the ammonia level back. My filter was seeded in my DT but for under a week. I've added to 8 pz bottles of Dr tims as well. I have a biowheel rated for 50 gallons, I have 27-30g of water in the qt. I decided against the carbon so I could start dosing copper.

I was trying to decide whether to use freshly mixed water or established tank water. My thinking was water from my DT might help add some beneficial bacteria to my QT. I ended up using fresh mixed water. I plan to do a water change today on my DT and using that water to wc my QT. Now that I've added copper I don't think I'll get any benefits from free floating bacteria. I've excepted the fact I'll need to be doing water changes everyday for they next few weeks.

The fish did show signs of ich yesterday so I believe that was causing the powder brown to swim into the power head.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
The PB is stressing... they need at least a 50 gallon QT tank or they will stress quick. They swim a lot.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yeah I'm probably pushing it. He's maybe 3" but has ate out of hand since day one. Still eats very well. Swimming into a powered is usually a sign of parasites in the gills right? From lack of oxygen?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yeah I'm probably pushing it. He's maybe 3" but has ate out of hand since day one. Still eats very well. Swimming into a powered is usually a sign of parasites in the gills right? From lack of oxygen?
Yup, but they also like to swim and since there is no room they resort to swim against the flow. Add the copper that will kill whatever is attacking its gills. (specially since you saw it had ick)