New fish with parasite

moliva18

Hey so my tank was looking really good so I decided to add my last fish a flame angel. I acclimated it perfectly according to the books in a bucket, and two days later now it is scratching, and I saw it go to the cleaner shrimp. Now I've noticed my clownfish have started to leave the powerheads they hosted swimming all over and have white stringy poop hanging. The rest of my fish look good. If I were to set up a emergency hospital tank how would I do it. I have 7 fish, a melanarus wrasse, pearly jawfish, starry blenny, Bangaii Cardinal, 2 clowns, and a flame angel. I do have corals so I can't treat the display. I don't know how I would catch all my fish though. Also a quarantine tank seems to be expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts to help as this is stressing me out all my fish could be in trouble and I have no idea what to do!!!! Thanks here are some pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I would leave them in there, start adding selcon, garlic extreme, seachem metro and focus to their frozen food. and then feed the fish, let it sit so the food can absorb the medication. This is reef safe so it wont harm your corals. Good luck.

A QT tank does not have to be expensive. Its an empty tank with a hang on the back filter. And to be brutally honest, when I was in a pinch, I've even used a 5 gallon bucket :/ Its hard to rid your aquarium of Ich or parasites. For them to be starved and die out I believe it takes 4 weeks? I forget.

If you go the QT route, you'll need to do it for at least 4 weeks to starve out the parasite from the display. And treat the fish with something like copper (watch your ammonia). I've heard of fish eventually creating immunity to the ich too but thats a risk you're taking to find out.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
A QT tank does not have to be expensive. Its an empty tank with a hang on the back filter. And to be brutally honest, when I was in a pinch, I've even used a 5 gallon bucket :/ Its hard to rid your aquarium of Ich or parasites. For them to be starved and die out I believe it takes 4 weeks? I forget.

If you go the QT route, you'll need to do it for at least 4 weeks to starve out the parasite from the display. And treat the fish with something like copper (watch your ammonia). I've heard of fish eventually creating immunity to the ich too but thats a risk you're taking to find out.
Its at least 6 weeks, but that doesn't guarantee that the parasite will die. It can even be transferred with frags purchased from others... the white string poop is an indication of internal parasites which Copper wont get rid off thats why I suggested using metro/focus with food, its like a dewormer. A 20 gallon will be a good QT size but flame angels can't handle copper it will mostly die in treatment.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'd go with a 40g breeder and bio wheel + air stone. 76 days is the magic number for a fallow period. That covers the full lifespan for all strains of ich. I'd feed Zoarders recommendation to keep them healthy until you get the QT up and cycled. I'd follow up the copper treatment with one or two prazipro treatments.

I put a cherub angel through qt, not sure if flame angels are particularly sensitive. I think the biggest mistake people make is raising the copper level too quickly. I do it slowly over 5 days, dosing 2 small doses a day.

Last edited:

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I've done QT tanks with a spare powerhead and that's it with good results. Look up New Life Spectrum's Ick Shield Powder. It's a form of Chloroquine Phosphate which has been proven to kill ick and other parasites. You can research for yourself. I currently use it in my QT and it is way less invasive compared to copper. If it isn't spreading like wildfire in your tank and the fish are still eating than try out [MENTION=6904]Zoarder[/MENTION] method. He's right though, ick and other parasites can definitely come from frags, macroalgae, anything really. But, a QT does have certain benefits, such as building the fish's strength and immunity in a controlled/less stressful environment. Also, FWIW Flame angels are notorious disease carriers and prone to ick. They're the $5 ho's in the aquarium game.

I would leave them in there, start adding selcon, garlic extreme, seachem metro and focus to their frozen food. and then feed the fish, let it sit so the food can absorb the medication. This is reef safe so it wont harm your corals. Good luck.
I would do this. There are a lot of immune system boosters and food with medication infusions that can help your fish get through various problems. I've have more fish die by treating them in a QT or with whole tank medication than I would like to admit.

moliva18

Okay thanks for all the replies. The food mix sounds great. But today I've noticed that there is black basically in the flame angels gills. I didn't really get a good look cause he is scared of me but it looked like it was in the gill. Any ideas? Thanks

moliva18

Any ideas on black thing in gills on new fish that would cause itching?