Debris on surface of water

Hi!

I have some debris on the surface of the water that won't go away. I think it may be sand but my tanks been cycling for about a week and a half to two. Any idea how to get rid of it?

Regards,

Mattt

A QuickFix is to get some kitchen paper towel And place it on the top of the water this will soak it up, if you're constantly getting a film on the top of your water you need to get yourself a surface skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you just need surface skimmers, or at the very least and extra powerhead or two pointed at the water surface (This also helps oxygenate the water, break up and help keep the film from forming, and helps keep your water cool from increased evaporation).

Otherwise, build (or buy) an acrylic box and mount it to the back corner of your tank, then add a Hang On Back filter like an Aquaclear -- Put that HOB filter's tube into the box and it will only suck in the water from the surface.

The water on the surface is not only the dirtiest water in the tank, BUT it cuts PAR (light intensity). So running a surface skimmer is really essential. Thankfully if your tank doesn't have one there are MANY work arounds that can help you achieve these goals, and most of them are cheap.

Let us know what you decide to do before you do it​, we might be able to point you in a better/cheaper direction :)

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome to the hobby, these guys sound right from the info you provided, need more surface agitation. Point one of your power heads at the surface, that should clear it up. Skimmer is a must for all reef tanks over 20g

www.LAreefsociety.org