Bean's 300 Gallon AGE Build

12 pages and 179 posts yet I still don't see any photos with water in the tank and it running. SMH this build could be epic if only there were more updates with photos :D
Cody ran out of money after having a kid, buying a house, and already taking a second mortgage out on that nice a$$ A.G.E. tank. Poor guy can't afford water lol
No problem, He`ll win that in the next raffle
Lol I think it will be worth the wait.

Someone come unpack for us and Ill get started.

Oh heres an update- I got an MP60 and a Multi Swirl over the weekend.

The biggest mistake I made building my tank was not planning it precisely. Especially the plumbing. Take your time figuring out the plumbing or you'll hate yourself years down the line. Get it as perfect as you possibly can...

My Tank Build
Lol I think it will be worth the wait.

Someone come unpack for us and Ill get started.

Oh heres an update- I got an MP60 and a Multi Swirl over the weekend.
Bro, I don't know any guy that unpacks. A man will live out of boxes and waits for his stuff to magically get put away.
https://youtu.be/SqQgDwA0BNU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on the plumbing part. I took me a week to figure out exactly what I wanted to accomplish. Then a week to recieve the parts. My tank is still only semi plumbed lol

I did do some plumbing last night, but it was our new dishwasher leaking at the supply line and a drain that didn't get popped out on the garbage disposal so it was dumping all the water out the air gap. Awesome!

I agree on the plumbing part. I took me a week to figure out exactly what I wanted to accomplish. Then a week to recieve the parts. My tank is still only semi plumbed lol
Yeah I don't plan to rush any of it. Building the tank will be part of the fun. I just haven't had time to get into it.

Let's see your plumbing! Always looking for new ideas.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
The biggest mistake I made building my tank was not planning it precisely. Especially the plumbing. Take your time figuring out the plumbing or you'll hate yourself years down the line. Get it as perfect as you possibly can...
Agree to that. Next big project on the tank is to redo the whole plumbing on it. Sorry for giving you a hard time on the build man, I just can't wait to see the awesomeness you do with it.

Update! Well not really. I'm hoping to get the plumbing and aquascape going in a few more weeks. Trying to get my garage cleaned out.

I ordered 2 more Sea Swirl Multi Swirls (for a total of 3)... almost $300 each. Sheesh! I'm out of tank funds haha

I still need-

1. Sand- Probably going with Caribsea Special Grade again. I'm not sure how much. I want to do less, so only maybe an inch or two so I can vacuum it if necessary.
2. Misc. plumbing parts
3. T5 Lamps
4. EMarco 400 or similar
5. Rods or PVC for some rock pillars
6. 100 to 200 Gallon- Tall Cylinder Tank

Down the road-

5. Calcium Reactor
6. More Flow Pumps
7. Probably something else I'm sure.

No progress other than that sorry [MENTION=6947]innerspark[/MENTION]

Last edited:

BeanMachine

Supporter
Updated list on the items I still need, nothing to see here. LOL

1. Sand
2. Plumbing Parts
3. T5 Lamps
4. EMarco 400 or similar
5. Rods or PVC for some rock pillars
6. 200 Gallon- Tall Cylinder Tank
7. Calcium Reactor
8. Additional Flow Pumps
9. Kessil H80 Flora Sun x 2 - For Refugium

BeanMachine

Supporter
Ellis aquatics has the best deal on special grade that I know of
Thanks. I do need to get out to Compton for a pick up at Chemtainer... so I should finally check his place out while I'm in the area.
[MENTION=6252]JDEllis[/MENTION] what's the price of caribsea special grade? You can pm me if you want. Thanks!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yeah I got my dry special grade at EA, I remember it being well below everywhere else.

What calcium reactor are you planing to use? Those H80s look pretty sweet.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Yeah I got my dry special grade at EA, I remember it being well below everywhere else.

What calcium reactor are you planing to use? Those H80s look pretty sweet.
Probably the AquaMaxx cTech T-2 from [MENTION=6299]MarineDepot[/MENTION]

Which regulator do you recommend?

MarineDepot

Proud Sponsor
Premium sponsor
AquaMaxx Calcium Reactor

Probably the AquaMaxx cTech T-2 from @MarineDepot

I just switched over to the cTech on one of the tanks here at the office and it was way easier to dial in compared to the older STAR reactors. It handles the CO2 much better because of the reverse flow design and does not create all sorts of microbubbles inside the reactor.

I have used the AquaMaxx Regulator for over two years without a problem.

Take care and happy reefkeeping!
-Robert @ MD

Probably the AquaMaxx cTech T-2 from [MENTION=6299]MarineDepot[/MENTION]

I personally would recommend the Geo reactor. I feel that it's extremely reliable and there are is minimal areas on the reactor when there can be leaks or breaks. As for solenoid I strongly suggest building a dual stage reg. There are several benefits and it's the most important component of a calcium reactor. It will prevent the need of fiddling with your bubble rate and prevent end of tank dumps.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Good looking reactor. I like how they decreased the foot print with placing everything up top.

Im not even sure what regulator is on my setup :) It looks like a basic dual gauge Milwaukee style regulator. If I had to replace it I'd just go for another dual gauge with solid reviews. I'd don't think having pinpoint control of co2 is that necessary for the reactor if you invest in a good pH monitor. Set your pH and the low bubble count to maintain it in the reactor. The low bubble count was key for me to keep a stable pH in the reactor. Mines about 1 bps.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I personally would recommend the Geo reactor. I feel that it's extremely reliable and there are is minimal areas on the reactor when there can be leaks or breaks. As for solenoid I strongly suggest building a dual stage reg. There are several benefits and it's the most important component of a calcium reactor. It will prevent the need of fiddling with your bubble rate and prevent end of tank dumps.
How do you monitor your reactors pH? I always felt a low bps combined with a pH controller was fairly fail safe.

EDIT: NM your talking a solenoid failure. I mis-read

Last edited: