BeanMachine

Supporter
All 5 fish are eating in QT.

c isosceles
c brunneus
m meleagris (large female)
m bipartitus (mid change to male)
Zebrasoma desjardini

I'm going to give them a couple more days to get their bellies full and I'll start the general cure.

I also ordered the T5 lamps finally.
6x ATI Blue Plus, 1x ATI Purple Plus, and 1x Giesemann Aquablue Azure.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
So when are we throwing a grouper in that tank?
All 5 fish are eating in QT.

c isosceles
c brunneus
m meleagris (large female)
m bipartitus (mid change to male)
Zebrasoma desjardini

I'm going to give them a couple more days to get their bellies full and I'll start the general cure.

I also ordered the T5 lamps finally.
6x ATI Blue Plus, 1x ATI Purple Plus, and 1x Giesemann Aquablue Azure.

I finally made a skimmer stand out of acrylic. Scrap from Paragon Plastics... 1 inch rod and some weld on. The Aquamaxx CO5 is pulling some tea colored skimmate atm. So far so good. The skimmer is fairly quiet considering the size.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Is that a public webcam or for private use only?
Dont mind staring at a bare tank for the next couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry Orbel... wife wouldnt like a public camera in our house haha but I bet the government is watching.

So I had a rough reefing weekend. I did a water change Thursday night in prep to medicate the quarantine. I was also getting a lot of salt creep so after the water change I decided to turn down the air stone with a small valve. I was out all day Friday, but everyone looked ok. Fast forward to Saturday morning, the Red Sea Sailfin tang was near death... well I thought it was dead but when I went to scoop it out it moved. Only lasted another 30 minutes before I put it out of its misery. Its body was completely white. Not ich or velvet from what I could tell. Lack of o2? The water change and reducing the air stone is all I changed in the tank. I have no idea. Also lost the pintail wrasse Sat morning as well.

To add insult to injury, when doing to the water change on Thursday evening, the blackspotted leopard was doing laps and its body got stuck to the inlet of the siphon hose when I was removing some water... it popped off but it the force was strong. It passed Sunday. It was not looking good after that happened, breathing really hard and what not.

So I'm down to the male blue star and brunneus in QT.

What do you think so far with the equipment choices you made for the tank?

So far I'm happy with everything. The Red Dragon 230 is an awesome pump... suuuper quiet and powerful. Only downside is the hideous controller box. Its freakin aweful looking. The AquaMaxx skimmer is nice, especially at the price for a skimmer this size. While not completely silent if it were using a DC pump, its quiet enough. If you don't mind wires in a tank, you can't go wrong with Tunze pumps. They are practically bullet proof.

I haven't had a lot of time with the light, I'll get back to you on that one.

I removed a few pieces of rock on the left side. Created a small island in front instead of connecting it with the main rockwork behind it. Ill be making more tweaks as I go.

Lost the brunneus in QT. Something went through the fish like wild fire. Just the male blue star has survived. Hes in General Cure currently. Looks healthy.

Here come the uglies. I ordered 50 Trochus 50 Cerith 20 Nassarius 6 Conch and 2 Cleaner Shrimp.

I think I know your problem. Too cautious. Moving too slow. THROW THIS THING TOGETHER like the good ol'days. Getter dun.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Losing fish sucks. Good thing you're QTing though. Hope you have cupramine ready to go. Velvet can take out fish even without visible signs on the body but it seems like something else did them in. Not sure if general cure needs more aeration as I know some medications might deplete O2 levels. Don't add any more fish for the time being. And dry out the QT completely before QTing more fish.

I think I know your problem. Too cautious. Moving too slow. THROW THIS THING TOGETHER like the good ol'days. Getter dun.
Aint that the truth. I'm trying not to be a dirty reef pirate, but I'm having some issues early on. LOL

Losing fish sucks. Good thing you're QTing though. Hope you have cupramine ready to go. Velvet can take out fish even without visible signs on the body but it seems like something else did them in. Not sure if general cure needs more aeration as I know some medications might deplete O2 levels. Don't add any more fish for the time being. And dry out the QT completely before QTing more fish.
Yeah gonna run some bleach through it this evening. Last fish bit the dust... may be velvet honestly no idea. They did look a bit pale near the end.