Very New But excited

DayWalker

Hey there everyone,

So i had a few questions about getting started with a tank. now the tank is going to be for Mandarin fish a pair of them
and later on down the road some coral but right now the fish.

So i have right now a 25 gallon cube tank. Is this going to be ok to start a larger nano tank or am i setting myself up for failure.

Any advise or tips about this please respond back thank you all

thank you so much

~Daywalker~

Hi and welcome. A 25 gallon cube is a fine starter tank for saltwater. My first was a 24 gallon Aquacube back in the day. There is an issue with the Mandarins though. This is somewhat of a controversial topic in the hobby but in general they are consider a "Advanced Only" fish. If you have access to captive bred Mandarins, and you've seen them eat frozen fish with your own eyes, you may be able to keep them alive for some time, but they will not thrive. You would also need to feed them 3-4 times a day at least. Before captive bred Mandarins came around, the general consensus was that you needed a large tank (120+ gallons) with a large amount of live rock and a long established system with a good micro critter (copepods and other) population for one Mandarin to be able to graze on. That's for one fish, let alone two. When captive Mandarins came out they were marketed as eating frozen food. I was really excited for them and got them in my store at the time as soon as they came out. They never once ate frozen food while in the store. Many excuses were given as to why but they sadly wasted away and also never sold due to crazy high price. There are accounts out there of people training wild Mandarins to eat prepared foods, and videos of them doing it, but I can imagine it took many days, and much dedication to get them to do that.
Just read as much as you can about Mandarins and see if you think it's worth it to you. I wouldn't recommend them for this size tank and also your first attempt at saltwater. Better to stick with relatively hardy stuff, get accomplished with maintaining your water parameters and then get into the harder stuff.

What [MENTION=2634]Bouncingsoul393[/MENTION] said∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Pretty much nailed it

That said, a 25 cube is a great place to start. Ask lots of questions, read as much as you can, and remember, patients goes a long way towards being successful in this hobby.

Oh, and Welcome!!!

DayWalker

Hey thank you very much im glad im finally starting i wanted to start a year ago but never had the drive but now after i went to Macna its changed my mind it
was amazing and cant wait to watch it grow ill be asking a lot of questions.

Thank you for your thoughts

SantaMonicaHelp

Hey there everyone,

So i had a few questions about getting started with a tank. now the tank is going to be for Mandarin fish a pair of them
and later on down the road some coral but right now the fish.

So i have right now a 25 gallon cube tank. Is this going to be ok to start a larger nano tank or am i setting myself up for failure.

Any advise or tips about this please respond back thank you all

thank you so much

~Daywalker~
Hey Chadd,

Welcome to the forum :)
How is it going now? What fish do you have now?

Zhenya

Latest posts