Alk dosing

Hey guys, quick question. My alk keeps dropping went as low as 7s, but Calcium has remained stable at 420-430s. Magnesium also stable. I've read than sometimes tanks can consume more alk? I was fine with primarily weekly 20% waterchanges in the past, but I suspect perhaps my increased new sps may be dropping the alk?

If I were to dose alk, is it ok to just add alk. I know there are solutions such as b-ionic 2 part that come with 2 bottles, do I need to be adding calcium if the calcium continues to remain stable? Or can I just buy a single bottle of something such as brightwell aquatics alk.

Hi there
Yes you can just add alk but over time your find you are gradually adding more and more it's just one of those chemistry things that happens as systems get more mature,

have you ever thought about adding a calcium reactor as these can manage all three major elements Kh, cal,mg At the right levels you require once tuned in properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Maybe your oxygen is low? Irritate your water. GFO can lower ur alk to.. Check your ph also.
That was my first thought too. Tachycardia, has it been a quick drop in alk? is your PH low? if so it could be what Bryan wa talking about.

If not, it might simply be that your water changes no longer are enough to supply your corals. As you add coral and your corals grow, then your calcium and alk demand needs to be supplied. If its just alk then you can just add an alkalinity supplement to maintain stability.

Yes, you can only add the alk of the two part b-ionic. you can also use the bright wells alk. Other options are simply baked baking soda, Bulk Reef Supply two part powder (again only the alk is fine) or any other two part alk supplement.

Latest posts