Powerhead location question

I have a 48" tank with a center overflow. Could I run two power heads on the back wall on either side of the overflow? Trying to make it look as clean as possible. Was thinking 2 Gyre130s.

Yes you can sir. Gyre is good but what is the width of ur tank? Might get sands storm. You can put it lower and flow facing up

you can, but i think you'll run into problems. but that depends on your rock work. one for the problems was described above. you dont want any direct flow on your corals, being 20" high you might run into some problems with that. any water sway you get is gonna be back to front insteads of left to right. the thing is with gyres, they are so small and thin(ish) you can have them in the sides and you wont see them much. but really its up to you.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
gyres are nice because you can put them very high up and it would be almost out of view. the circulation of the gyre would give the tank a ton of indirect flow if you point them across the tank at the top.

My Tank Build
I'm running two 150 on my 155. There mounted on the back wall of the tank in the corners of the overflow.
I'm running them on alternating gyre mode. At 2 min each cycle at max 40%, so there dead quiet.
This is how it works. So when I start them the gyre on the left will be at 40% in forward mode while the gyre on the right is at 10% in reverse mode (causing the pump to not make any water movement ) this cause me to get a counter clockwise current. This cycle lasts for 2 min then they switch. Where the gyre on the left goes to 10% in reverse mode and the gyre on the right goes to 40% in forward mode cause the tank to then get a clockwise current.

Fyi the rock work in my tank is about 3 to 4" away from the back wall so that the current can flow freely around the rock work. And the gyres r mounted vertically not horizontal.

But it does look very clean with no pumps sitting on the side walls of the glass.

Thanks for the replies, all.

I do have a two island structure with space behind each island. I will try to pick up another 130 and play with it. Right now I have the 130 on one side of the glass and two 6095's tucked back in the corner for any dead spots. They are great pumps, just trying to figure out a more clean look that is still effective. its also hard to get them out and clean them.

Latest posts