Any cool ideas for lighting a stand?

Hey guys, I'm wanting to install lighting in my stand that comes on when I open the door. Any ideas? If you've done something like that, please post pics. Thanks!

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
You can with an apex, breakout box, magnetic sensors and any led you want. They sell strips of them on amazon.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
That would be cool, but I don't have an Apex. Is there another way to go about it?
That's the only way i know. Maybe if you have a used ATO it should work just switch the float swith with a magnet sensor.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This is more what I'm looking for. Thanks for the idea. I am thinking about trying something like using a magnetic switch like this: https://www.oznium.com/magnetic-switch

With an LED strip like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60192355/

Or this: http://www.lightinthebox.com/waterp...0v_p2256319.html?category_id=4646&prm=1.4.1.1

Since I know nothing about electricity, I am hoping someone can tell me how to pull this off without blowing anything up or burning anything down. LOL :eek: :confused:

I used a magnetic switch and some white led strip from Amazon. Cost under $15!. The led from Ikea is too pricey and too short. For me I ran the LED strip around the entire inside perimeter of the stand which is around 16 feet.I can take some pics when I get home tonite.

Last edited:
Ok I took a few pics of it under my stand... Please pardon the wriring mess and rust.... I dose iron in my tank apparently lol.
Here is wired side of the magnetic switch
image.jpg
It has 3 contacts so you have 2 ways to wire it. "On" when the switch is close or "off" when the switch is close. One of the 3 contacts is "ground" the other 2 contacts are "hot"....of course in this case you want light "on" when you open the door and the switch is open and "off" when the door and switch are closed.
Here are the pics of the switch and led strip I used. The LED is not water proof or splash proof so after about 8 months you get salt on the contacts and I'm seeing about 1/4 of the LEDs are out but it's cheap so I can always throw in a new strip if need too or you can spend a little more and get water proof.
image.jpg
image.jpg
How it looks under the stand.... Pretty bright
image.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I took a few pics of it under my stand... Please pardon the writing mess and rust.... I dose iron in my tank apparently lol.
Here is wired side of the magnetic switch
View attachment 54601
It has 3 contacts so you have 2 ways to wire it. "On" when the switch is close or "off" when the switch is close. One of the 3 contacts is "ground" the other 2 contacts are "hot"....of course in this case you want light "on" when you open the door and the switch is open and "off" when the door and switch are closed.
Here are the pics of the switch and led strip I used. The LED is not water proof or splash proof so after about 8 months you get salt on the contacts and I'm seeing about 1/4 of the LEDs are out but it's cheap so I can always throw in a new strip if need too or you can spend a little more and get water proof.
View attachment 54602
View attachment 54603
How it looks under the stand.... Pretty bright
View attachment 54604
Excellent thanks!! That's exactly the info I needed!

I went pretty Low Tech, with some $5 waterproof LED flood lights from Walmart. They're christmas spotlights, they come in a bright white but with red/green filters which I just tossed.

I went pretty Low Tech, with some $5 waterproof LED flood lights from Walmart. They're christmas spotlights, they come in a bright white but with red/green filters which I just tossed.
I think they works great just need anything that will let u see what ur doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SantaMonica

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought he was asking for ideas of how to shine the light. So an idea for that, in addition to lighting the inside of the cabinet, is to use focused lights on the floor area around the cabinet to see water and things that fall.