Anyone keep live brine?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I've been thinking of setting up a tank to hatch and raise brine shrimp. Anyone have any tips? I'd like to raise them to adults. I have some equipment laying around that I think will work but would like some input

Standard 10g tank
Sponge filter and air pump
Led blue/red grow light par 30
50w heater

I see some people like to feed spirulina powder and phytoplankton. Anything else?

Why do most use bottles and not cycled tanks? Is there a reason for this? I plan to remove adults with a fish net and leave the young to grow out.

It looks like San Francisco Bay has packaged brine shrimp hatchery eggs for 4 bucks. I figure it'll be cool to try and may help me QT picky eaters ect if it works out.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I grow my own and my fish and coral love it.

I do not grow mine until they are full adults. Mine are grown in 2-3 days and then fed to the tank. It keeps it easy for me this way and are small enough for the corals to feed as well.

I recommend using a container that is funneled downward. The brine shrimp need to be circulated and in a 10g tank they will not go into the oxygen and die a whole lot faster. I use a 2 liter bottle upside down with an airline tube. Really only takes a day to hatch, couple days to grow and 3 day is prime to feed. I only grow enough to feed in one day. Once I set it up I don't touch it until it's time to feed. Then I Rinse it out and set it up again. This way I am only touching it twice a week. Feeding it twice a week in routine with other foods.

You can grow them out but sps love them small and wouldn't eat it if it is larger. Same goes for the mandarin pair that I have. Any longer than 4 days and theywould have to be fed with phytoplankton to stay alive and becomes another tank to clean regularly

www.LAreefsociety.org

I've only had experience with baby brine shrimp and from my experience the brine are most nutritious at the first couple days of hatch. After that they're not as effective as a nutritional source of food. Hence why only coke bottles and not full on tanks. A lot can live in that little 1 liter of water and you only have a small window to harvest to feed so there is no need for a high volume space such as a 10 gallon tank.

I used the San Franscisco Bay brine shrimp egg packages. They were easy to use with the standard shrimp setup. However the 2 liter coke bottle setup and air bubble were a noise ratchet. I think i bought mine at dr fosters: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...KNxFgVKGWNU056ta-6MsiRrCNpI3ElsqNVRoCtVfw_wcB