Cycling questions

Hi I just started my fluval m-90 36 gallon reef tank about a week ago with biospira & a dead shrimp. I have pukani dry rock and thick grain aragonite sand. I have had a very small nitrite and nitrate spike but a large nitrate spike and now all three are falling.

Can anyone tell me at what point in cycling I am?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks funny, no way should the nitrate be this high without first having an ammonia and nitrite spike. There shouldn't be any aerobic bacteria to convert to nitrates. What test kits are you using? Maybe do a 100% water change and add a form of ammonia to see what happens. Honestly tho, I really think it's the test kits. I'm sure other who knows more then me will chime in.

I recently did my first tank and mine took almost 4 weeks to cycle.

It's just possible you may have had a mini cycle which sometimes last only 1 to 2 weeks, and if you're still adding Dead prawns that would be where you are getting your ammonia or nitrate and because it still at it early stages ,and as suggested above do a big water challenge and see if you're reading this disappear, but keep testing regular.

This looks funny, no way should the nitrate be this high without first having an ammonia and nitrite spike. There shouldn't be any aerobic bacteria to convert to nitrates. What test kits are you using? Maybe do a 100% water change and add a form of ammonia to see what happens. Honestly tho, I really think it's the test kits. I'm sure other who knows more then me will chime in.

I recently did my first tank and mine took almost 4 weeks to cycle.
I'm using an API test kit and I did add biospira, so that should add bacteria? Maybe the ammonia and nitrite are being processed fast? I was really hoping I'd get that classic tank cycle so I didn't have to guess at things....

It's just possible you may have had a mini cycle which sometimes last only 1 to 2 weeks, and if you're still adding Dead prawns that would be where you are getting your ammonia or nitrate and because it still at it early stages ,and as suggested above do a big water challenge and see if you're reading this disappear, but keep testing regular.

Will doing a 100% water change kill the bacteria already there from the biospira?

I would just let the shrimp rot in there and the bacteria process it. once the Ammonia and Nitrite read 0 then you can do all the water changes that you want.

Will doing a 100% water change kill the bacteria already there from the biospira?

No nearly all the good bacteria Will be in your rock and sand or what ever bio media you are using if any. And providing your cycle has finished you should get zero readings on the ammonia and Nitrate, and if not maybe you need to start again and add a few more prawns and just be patient, and just one more thing check that your test kits are in date.

No nearly all the good bacteria Will be in your rock and sand or what ever bio media you are using if any. And providing your cycle has finished you should get zero readings on the ammonia and Nitrate, and if not maybe you need to start again and add a few more prawns and just be patient, and just one more thing check that your test kits are in date.

That sounds like a good plan! I'll work on making the rodi water today... Thanks so much!

If you can see if your lfs has any Dr Tim's ammonia, only cost a few dollars. Reason being, if. You can add the required amount of ammonia for your tank today and it still reads zero ammonia and nitrite tomorrow then you know your tank is cycled. Using a pure source of ammonia also means you don't need to wait for the shrimp to decompose. Not saying the tank can't be checked that fast. But this would be a way to check for sure. Good luck

If you can see if your lfs has any Dr Tim's ammonia, only cost a few dollars. Reason being, if. You can add the required amount of ammonia for your tank today and it still reads zero ammonia and nitrite tomorrow then you know your tank is cycled. Using a pure source of ammonia also means you don't need to wait for the shrimp to decompose. Not saying the tank can't be checked that fast. But this would be a way to check for sure. Good luck
They don't unfortunately. Maybe I'll order some.

You don't have to use Dr Tim's, pretty CVS or wall greens sells pure ammonia. Just need to make sure it's pure ammonia, no perfume or anything. I just said Dr Tim's cus that's what I used.

Latest posts