Just started my first reef tank. It's a fluval m-90 and I was wondering if you guys c

The tank is 36 gallons with pukani dry rock, course argonite sand, and will be a reef tank.
Stocking list & order:
(One type of fish per week)
First- a fire fish
Second- a pair of ocellaris clowns
Third-a Royal gramma
For a total of 12" of fish and then a few inverts like an emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, feather dusters or Christmas tree worms(later on), Trocus snails, nassarius snails, an anemone, and a starfish of some kind. This tank will be a softy tank as I am new to saltwater.

I would add the inverts and snails first, maybe a eager shrimp and a few hermit crabs. Start the clean up crew first then move on to fishes. And good with it!

Nice tank! I would start with a pair of clown first. They are very hardy and lots of personality for a new tank. Just my 2 cent
I do want to add the clowns for that reason, but the fire fish is so timid... Clowns aren't aggressive so I suppose it should work. Also there are two, so maybe the bioload will be too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do want to add the clowns for that reason, but the fire fish is so timid... Clowns aren't aggressive so I suppose it should work. Also there are two, so maybe the bioload will be too much?

Two baby clowns is not much on your bio load. Always check ammonia for a week to make sure your tank is keeping up with the load. Also I feed less during that first week.

If you are concerned about the bio load, you can phantom feed the tank. Meaning add some a very small amount of fish food to the tank and let it break down. The bacteria will catch up then add more food. The bacteria will increase to handle the increased bio load. As mentioned above. The Bacteria can handle the two clowns. They don't produce that much. It's when you add many fish too fast that you'll have problems. Clowns are good cus they can tolerate some sudden changes in water quality and most clowns are tank raised and very suited to the tank environment. Hope this helps.

SantaMonicaHelp

The tank is 36 gallons with pukani dry rock, course argonite sand, and will be a reef tank.
Stocking list & order:
(One type of fish per week)
First- a fire fish
Second- a pair of ocellaris clowns
Third-a Royal gramma
For a total of 12" of fish and then a few inverts like an emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, feather dusters or Christmas tree worms(later on), Trocus snails, nassarius snails, an anemone, and a starfish of some kind. This tank will be a softy tank as I am new to saltwater.
Hey Mari,

Congratulations with the first reef tank?
I hope you like it a lot :)
How is it now? Do you have any corals?

Zhenya

Hey Mari,

Congratulations with the first reef tank?
I hope you like it a lot :)
How is it now? Do you have any corals?

Zhenya
I have a ridiculous amount of corals... since starting I've gone through a nitrate spike of 100 because my RODI system was exhausted and dumped 1ppm ammonia water into my tank. Needless to say, water changes did not help... some coral died with that fiasco. Rn I have a phosphate spike probably left over from that. I've added an ATO, some used ai hydras, a GFO reactor, started dosing NOPOX, and got a new RODI system.

I have a ridiculous amount of corals... since starting I've gone through a nitrate spike of 100 because my RODI system was exhausted and dumped 1ppm ammonia water into my tank. Needless to say, water changes did not help... some coral died with that fiasco. Rn I have a phosphate spike probably left over from that. I've added an ATO, some used ai hydras, a GFO reactor, started dosing NOPOX, and got a new RODI system.

I've made a lot of upgrades and put on a lot of equipment but I can't remember all of them. The skimmer is a tunze 9001, ph are jabao wp40s(I think), and I got a Red Sea Test Kit for mag, cal, and alk. a lot of small stuff.

Latest posts