Have bio-pellet reactors lost popularity?

I have noted that no one is talking about bio-pellet reactors anymore. In a search I find only old posts going back to 2014. I also have one for trade that no one seems to be interested in. Whats up and what happened to the enthusiasm?

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
This hobby is funny how certain things become popular and then people lose interests. Everyone wanted Bio-pellets but didnt understand bacteria so they killed a lot of coral and gave up on it. Those who still use it know what they are doing and probably never talked about it anyway.

Right now everyone is all about Muriatic acid to clean rocks. Don't know how we did it before lol am I wrong? same with coral. SPS is just not "in" right now, bounces will come crashing down and Acans will be on the rise. I remember when acans were so hot a few years ago and right now no one talks about them. I'm sure someone will chime in and say I'm wrong. Im an SPS junkie as well but ask the vendors what sells in stores and in the shows.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Isn't the Ziovet system a version of bio pellets????
And SPS is always cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree I think a lot of ppl switched to nopox just cheaper and not have to really take care of it like the reactor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running biopellets in my reef dynamics reactor, but I never quite found the sweet spot with flow and my pellets disintegrate faster than normal...or if the flow is too slow, they clump up. And while the reactor is practically the best one for biopellets, there are some parts that are very difficult to clean due to the narrow opening of the reactor and the non-removable drain. So I'm sort of considering alternatives.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I still use BPs through a Aquamaxx reactor. Probably one of the least problematic reactor I've used for BPs. I do have to clean it 2 to 3 times a year but not bad at all.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Trends are just the way the hobby goes. I still am running an Aquamax reactor with Biopellets in it.

pgr11

Supporter
After my reactor took a crap I stopped. I'm going to start again though. I think I'll try the aquamax

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
After my reactor took a crap I stopped. I'm going to start again though. I think I'll try the aquamax

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
It's not fancy dancy reactor but it gets the job done.