Have bio-pellet reactors lost popularity?

There are 2 models of this style (I think larger version hold 1L media), all in one and pellets are turning all the time.
I had it around 6 months and cleaned it only once.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
to those that still do bps. Is there a new go to biopellet? Last time I used one, Warner Marine's Ecobak was the standard.

pgr11

Supporter
There are 2 models of this style (I think larger version hold 1L media), all in one and pellets are turning all the time.
I had it around 6 months and cleaned it only once.
Yeah I saw the larger one. It said it was rated for a 200 light bio load. I have a 265 heavy load. I like the design though

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The problems that many people had (myself included) with biopellets usually didn't arise from the biopellets themselves, but rather the reactors that ran them. For example, my first experience with biopellets was with the reactor that BRS sold. It simply was poorly designed for biopellets and would often clog. If one is still in favor of carbon dosing, I believe biopellets are the way to go given the consistency and reliability of them with the right reactor.

I'm using biopellets in a BRS reactor. Been thinking about seeding some more bacteria with Dr Tim's Waste Away. Does anyone have experience with it?

Biopellets is a form of carbon dosing, Flow, Churn, and Effluent are much harder to quantify than a standard dose of some other carbon source? I made Pellets work for a time, but had problem when I switched brand of pellets and have never looked back. I too had best luck with Ecobak original, but never was able to quantify dose so went with different method. Also when you feed bacteria if the bad out competes the good you will have problems. Someone mentioned Muratic Acid and starting with Dead Rock in this thread and in my opinion we have gone backwards in this Hobby and there is more in Live Rock than we understand. Every tank I have started with Good Seeded Live Rock has flourished, my 400 with Dead Rock took two years to hit its stride. Off topic, but I would rather deal with Hitchhiker pest off Live Rock than wait two years to be able to have rock that would keep my corals happy and my nitrates low!

Latest posts