Measuring LED lights

john0087

Hey all,

I have access to a meter that measures light in watts/meters up to 445nm. Technically its a UV meter.

I can measure the following wave lengths:
UVC 250-260nm
UVB 280-320nm
UVA 320-390nm
UVV 395-445

According to the information I have found (Wikipedia) this measurement, watts/meters, is the irradiance of PAR.
Is this measurement useful? I realize that I would be missing a large range for PAR (445-700nm)

I have been searching the web looking for info on coral growth in relation to this measurement, but I couldnt find anything.

Wiki gives a conversion factor to convert this from irradiance to PAR in moles, but it is dependent on wavelength and the calculation is pretty complexha-ha I dont remember my college calc.

Its not waterproof, so all I could do is get surface measurements.

Just wondering if its useful or if anyone could help me convert this info.
I am running 2 AI Hydra 26 about 10 over the water level.

Thanks!

John.

nm refers to the color spectrum.

par is the intensity of the light.

Not the same thing in my limited understanding.

john0087

Right.

So the meter I have access to measures the spectrums up to 445nm. The output is in watts/meters

So the reading would look like this:
UVC – XXX watts/meters
UVB – XXX watts/meters
UVA – XXX watts/meters
UVV – XXX watts/meters

According to Wiki, watts/meters = irradiance of PAR. There are conversion factors to get to PAR, but I could not find any information on them.

Everything that I have found online with regards to reef lighting is all in PAR. I was just asking if the information I could collect is useful or if I could convert it to useful information.

Sorry if I wan't clear in the OP.

John

Right.

So the meter I have access to measures the spectrums up to 445nm. The output is in watts/meters

So the reading would look like this:
UVC – XXX watts/meters
UVB – XXX watts/meters
UVA – XXX watts/meters
UVV – XXX watts/meters

According to Wiki, watts/meters = irradiance of PAR. There are conversion factors to get to PAR, but I could not find any information on them.

Everything that I have found online with regards to reef lighting is all in PAR. I was just asking if the information I could collect is useful or if I could convert it to useful information.

Sorry if I wan't clear in the OP.

John
I have no idea on the conversion. It probably was, I'm not good at math. :)

If you can't put that under the water, I'm not sure it would be useful even if you could convert those readings to PAR.

Yes but you would have to convert the watts/meter squared to microeinsteins which is in umols which is the PAR number we commonly use. Depending on the light source the conversion factor can differ a bit.

http://www.egc.com/useful_info_lighting.php

That is a basic calculator with some common light sources but it does not have the conversion factor for LED. You can measure metal halide and T5 though.

john0087

Yes but you would have to convert the watts/meter squared to microeinsteins which is in umols which is the PAR number we commonly use. Depending on the light source the conversion factor can differ a bit.

http://www.egc.com/useful_info_lighting.php

That is a basic calculator with some common light sources but it does not have the conversion factor for LED. You can measure metal halide and T5 though.

Yeah I read that article as well. I did more research last night and found this article and equation. I think I can handle this math as the explain the inputs pretty well.

https://www.berthold.com/en/bio/how-do-i-convert-irradiance-photon-flux

I am going to take a crack at and see what info I can learn. It will be interesting. We know the PAR meters that are out on the market lack the ability to measure PAR correctly at the UV ranges. While I will be missing measurements between 445nm - 700nm, I am going to have a pretty good understanding of what is going on at the UV range.