Dr. Tim's One and Only

Starting a new tank with dry rock and carib alive sand. I took 3 pieces of LR from my established tank and added that to the new tank as well. Today, I used a bottle (8oz) of Dr Tim's. Added that around 4 PM. Tested a few mins ago and didn't see any change in my Ammonia. Is this normal? TIA.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
How high of an ammonia reading did you have? Was the live rock out of the water long? Is the dry rock mined rock (marco) or was it once love rock, like tonga ect? If it was once live your going to have a cycle still. If you had a decent amount of ammonia expect it to take a few days to a week before you have zero ammonia/nitrite.

I've done several successful same day full tank transfers with Dr.Tims. I did use new sand as well as marco rock so there was no die off/cycle.

What are you using as your ammonia source? I would not think that you would have ammonia is a new system with no fish. Live rock plus Dr Tim's should give you a quick cycle though.

So I made the mistake of using dr. Tims without an ammonia source. The day after pouring the entire bottle of dr tims I got some ace ammonia and used that in my tank. That brought the ammonia up to 2 ppm. I'm on day two now and still no nitrite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not an exact science, sometimes it takes a bit longer. you can read ammonia then you will eventually read nitrites. worse thing you can do now is rush this. this is the foundation of your tank. let it mature on its on speed. you'll be thankful later. what is the temp of the tank? and do you have flow?

I would just take my time. You'll know when it's done cycling but with dr Tim u can add fish right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts