New clownfish give me a heart attack

I think Gary nailed it. Looking at the pictures the two clowns are similar in size and may be determining thier roles.
That's true. The slightly smaller one is still being nipped at by the larger. The "female" never chases more than five inches though. And the "male" never fights. I had been looking at screens so I'll just get one really soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't invest too much into a screen unless you'll be keeping jumpers in your tank (wrasse, etc) or plan on it being permanent. Clownfish aren't known to jump, but it can't hurt to have one up. I personally keep an open top tank. At this point, you just have to wait until the nipping stops and you'll have a clown pair!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I wouldn't invest too much into a screen unless you'll be keeping jumpers in your tank (wrasse, etc) or plan on it being permanent. Clownfish aren't known to jump, but it can't hurt to have one up. I personally keep an open top tank. At this point, you just have to wait until the nipping stops and you'll have a clown pair!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Well I was looking into a firefish, but idkkk. I think i might do a low bioload tank with only 2 clowns and then a ton of corals or something. Idk.

The "male" is getting close to the female and conch tonight. Maybe he will join her... he went inside once earlier when she wasn't there.

Today they were both in the conch together for a minute and I think the female injured the male.... he swims slower and tilts just a little. When they were in the conch I just saw a lot of flailing......

The flailing is normal. They'll sort of like spazz out for a couple of short seconds... I believe it's because they're changing into their respective roles in the pair.

Had to take the conch out bc it was getting tons of algae around it and making a dead zone for flow. Might put it back in later. Now both my clowns sleep in the upper corner again but now they do it together. They have some interest in my hammer coral and I found my anemone very upset one morning so maybe they tried to host it. We'll see.

Latest posts