Top off water: alk/cal

For drinking water your looking at a reg RO, waters that's been through the DI resin is too clean for us to drink and will make us sick. Also. Since humans can tolerate bad water. The filters won't be up to par. No point spending money of livestock when you don't have the system to keep them alive.

RO system is an RO system. Most RO systems for fish tanks have a DI canister as an added stage for purer water. But yes, You can use your home RO system(assuming it's a regular 3 or 4 stage RO) for water top off. Can you post a pic of your home RO system?
I will take a photo tonight when i get home! Thanks for all the advice!

For drinking water your looking at a reg RO, waters that's been through the DI resin is too clean for us to drink and will make us sick. Also. Since humans can tolerate bad water. The filters won't be up to par. No point spending money of livestock when you don't have the system to keep them alive.
So my house being equipped with a RO system, should it be good enough for top off water for my reef system?

I know adding a DI would be best, but I don't plan on doing it anytime soon.

So my house being equipped with a RO system, should it be good enough for top off water for my reef system?

I know adding a DI would be best, but I don't plan on doing it anytime soon.
That really depends on your filters. Filters for aquarium water will filter out more of the crap in the water. Can it work? Or course you can top of your tank. But it's like getting Austin Martin and using regular gas. It'll work but it's good for it. Like in said before I don't know what rejection rate your room has. More often then so you're gonna introduce stuff you don't want in your tank. Slowly....but definitely surly. You stated you're in this for the long haul. And many have said you really need to get a rodi. It's cheaper in the long run and better for your tank. At the end of the day you can do what you want. But I can guarantee no one will use ro for human consumption on their tanks. Is it better then tap water? Yes. So it's ok to use as top off? To a certain extent and for short term yes. If your looking for someone to tell you it's totally OK to use. Then you're out of luck.

That really depends on your filters. Filters for aquarium water will filter out more of the crap in the water. Can it work? Or course you can top of your tank. But it's like getting Austin Martin and using regular gas. It'll work but it's good for it. Like in said before I don't know what rejection rate your room has. More often then so you're gonna introduce stuff you don't want in your tank. Slowly....but definitely surly. You stated you're in this for the long haul. And many have said you really need to get a rodi. It's cheaper in the long run and better for your tank. At the end of the day you can do what you want. But I can guarantee no one will use ro for human consumption on their tanks. Is it better then tap water? Yes. So it's ok to use as top off? To a certain extent and for short term yes. If your looking for someone to tell you it's totally OK to use. Then you're out of luck.
I really appreciate the input .I suppose I'll have to invest in an RODI system haha. But for now, it'll have to be just RO with more frequent water changes.

Any recommendations for RODI systems?

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I really appreciate the input .I suppose I'll have to invest in an RODI system haha. But for now, it'll have to be just RO with more frequent water changes.

Any recommendations for RODI systems?
I have an Air Water and Ice system but if I was buying now I would probably go with a BRS system.

Also you should be able to buy rodi by the gallon from wherever you buy your salt water from. (unless that is the same place that told you to use tap water then don't ever go to that store again. :becky:)

I have an Air Water and Ice system but if I was buying now I would probably go with a BRS system.

Also you should be able to buy rodi by the gallon from wherever you buy your salt water from. (unless that is the same place that told you to use tap water then don't ever go to that store again. :becky:)

HAHAha, thanks

I would agree on the brs units too. Price wise they are pretty good. Filters deal with chlorine and chloramines. Best of all to since they're from MN no sales tax and free. Shipping. If you want to continue to buy water for now and wait till Nov on black Friday for a better deal.

nueok

Home units are ro systems for sure. I have a 4 stage ro system for my drinking water. But even those register 30 tds. But I'll put in 30tds vs my tap at 323.

What you can buy is a di system and tap into the ro system you have. Buy a 2 way valve to control where and where you want the water to flow. Ro for drinking di for you top off. You don't want to be drinking di water. But that is not very economical long term, you probably will burn through the di resgin faster then what a proper rodi unit will give.

For example my ro drinking system gives 30 tds. Spectrapure ro gives me 3 tds before hitting the di. What that means is my di will exhaust 10x faster if I hooked it up to my drinking system.

Latest posts