Acid washing rock?

Was watching some youtube videos of acid washing rock. They were using muriatic acid then neutralizing with baking soda.

Where do you get the muriatic acid? I went to home Depot and walmart and couldn't find it. I read that muriatic acid is same as hydrochloric acid. The products I found at the store had hydrochloric acid contents of about 50% with the other 50% being other, whatever that is.

Home Depot and lowes both carry it. Near the pool section. Most pool stores will carry it. I did a write up on how to do it. Check my threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago they started to sell only the lower acidic content of muriatic acid of around 14.5% instead of the traditional 30%. I forgot which of the two (Home Depot or Lowes) sold the lower percentage. One store sold the 30% one sold the 15-20% when I bought mine a year ago. Just pay attention to the SDS sheet when purchasing.

Are your rocks having a leeching issue?

If I remember it was Muriatic for removing outer layer of rock due to phosphate leeching issues and bleach for removing organic compounds.

it's called muriatic acid... home depot has it far from the other pool supplies... my home depot has it near the indoor garden plants... like their greenhouse... they don't keep them next to the other pool chemicals because if they get a spill, it can make mustard gas...

don't mix ammonia with the muriatic acid... LOL.. i use that stuff a lot... for cleaning galvanized steel...

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Use the mobile app karl, they show you right where to go if they have it. I couldn't find it once either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found some at home depot, probably walked by it 3-4 times. Was looking for jugs when they were packaged in boxes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk