Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit (Alk/Ca/Mg) Discussion

So, I have gone back and forth on my opinion of this test kit. I have finally fine tuned the proper way of using it through extensive thread searching elsewhere, trial and error vs laboratory meters as well as slapping myself in the head for my own stupidity.

I have decided, ultimately, that this is the least expensive, extremely accurate test kit, but it does require a very strict usage of the test syringes in order to get the right results.

It does have its inherent faults; one of which is its complete lack of durability in the syringes themselves.

I will come back to this in greater detail later, but LSS, I emailed Red Sea, and they are sending me the updated version of the syringes whose ink is not supposed to vanish when used or cleaned per their guidelines.

In the meantime, has anyone found a good glass substituion for the 1ml syringes? I have not had the greatest success in finding one, and would prefer to use glass instead, mostly for durability.

Best I have found so far are these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CFJ51X4?psc=1

Just trying to find something made with borosilicate glass or similar that are not $30 a piece.

is there interest in doing these as a group buy? If I can get all 3 ml syringes for $10 each, $30 total per kit, would you be interested in participating?

Sent using TAPATALK via Android

Last edited:
After i use up my alk test with red sea, i will purchase their alk.

I wanted a single kit for ca, mg, alk and could not seem to find that with salifert (iirc) but seeing as my alk is now more than half gone, i will try them next.

Once you get the procedure dialed in, the red sea is simple. But some of these tests should come with training videos.

I've recently used all three, Salifert (Ca/Mg), Redsea (Alk/Ca/Mg), Hanna (Alk/Ca). I'm still currently using Redsea and Hanna. All three are pretty accurate.

The steps for Salifert and Redsea are very similar except with Redsea reads kind of in reverse on the syringe compared to salifert. You have to read how much solution you used in the syringe and not go by what number it lands on the syringe like the Salifert. They both are pretty accurate but I have to admit the reading in reverse on the redsea threw me off at first but maybe because the first test kit I used was the Salifert and was comparing it to that.

Salifert is more popular but IMO i prefer RedSea because you get more for the money; a hard plastic storage case, nice big glass vials that screws into the titrator. The tritrator makes it so much easier. Plus you can save a few extra bucks buying the refills later. Can't beat a ca/alk/mg test kit for $45.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-reef-foundation-pro-multi-test-kit-ca-alk-mg.html

The Hanna Checker is the easiest to read because it's digital versus color matching the end results which sometimes can get you second guessing yourself especially in the beginning. But its expensive. Each individual test unit is $50 so the Ca and Alk will run you $100 and it only gives you about 25 tests each.

Maybe I'm overly thorough but I keep the Redsea and Hanna so I can cross reference when I'm in doubt of one or the other. Plus I'm in the beginning stages of my tank so going through alot of tests is inevitable.

I like everything about the redvsea except for its lack of durability in the syringes (solution found, but why do I have to do this?), and it's learning curve, which could be explained so much better if these companies would just make a free-hosted youtube video. FFS!

Price point and packaging is a plus, but as I am a container freak, I ussually expect to buy something modular for everything that I purchase, anyway. This one is acceptable, but I would prefer the syringes to have a better placement when they are being stored like the reaction cylinders.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Latest posts