matted file fish experience

Purchased a matted file fish 4 days ago to help control aiptasia. He eats mysis shrimp, nori and flakes but has so far shown no interest in aiptasia or other corals as some have experienced. I have read that it can take them several weeks to get an appetite for aiptasia. What are most peoples experiences. Even if it does not eat aipatsia it is still a cool fish. I would have done berghia again, but have tried it before and they work, but eventually die off and aiptasia eventually come back.

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
I enjoy mine even if they don't eat aiptasia. Very interesting fish to watch. But eventually they will especially if you skip a few fish feedings. But be careful and keep an eye on your zoas if you have any expensive ones they know and eat those first. Lol

Well when he clears the aiptasia and if he starts nipping desirable corals he will be available to the next reefer who needs him.

Well when he clears the aptasia and if he starts nipping desirable corals he will be available to the next reefer who needs him.
Please update when you get it to kill the aiptasia. Debating to whether or not to get one myself for a few that's popping up on my rocks since the mystery wrasse killed all the peppermint shrimps I had in the tank.

Ive used one in the past. It worked well. Give it time. They are somewhat easy to catch as well. Not in a really big tank though. Just watch your corals like you said.

Update. File fish doing great, eating nori, flakes, pellets and mysis shrimp. However absolutely no interest in aiptasia. Looks like I will have to get some berghia.

I would reconsider and maybe just see if you can trade your filefish in for a different one. It appears to be a taste thing and some of the filefish just dont have a taste for Aptasia.

The reason that I suggest this is that I recently tried Berghia nudis, spent a good bit on them, and it has been about a month, and I have only seen one of them, once, at night. After that, no sign. Furthermore, my aptasia population has continued to thrive.

For my money, risking it on a $30 fish is a far better idea than plopping down $150+ to get 10 nudibranchs and have them do nothing or disappear.

If you are looking for some though, the gentleman that I bought mine from was super easy to work with and the stock seemed quite healthy on arrival, so PM me if you want his info.

haiguys

One other thing to consider with file fish is their appetite for coral. Although it's known that they may go for zoas, I had one that annihilated all of my acans in one night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk